To Honor And Humor: USO's Surprise Guest

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Washington Post
October 3, 2008
Pg. C3
The Reliable Source

By Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts
The challenge of hosting an annual gala: how to step it up from last year. The USO pulled it off Wednesday, scoring a cameo by the president and stunning the crowd with a surprise performance by Robin Williams-- so, uh-oh, what do they do next year?
"We're here to raise $750 billion in a telethon for America," the ever-wired comic riffed when he walked onstage at the Marriott Wardman Park. And from there he was off and running, comparing the government to a junkie: "I just need $900 billion, man. . . . I just ran into some bad subprime."
Sarah Palin? "The difference between her and Dick Cheney: She shoots you, you stay down." Obama vs. McCain? "It's like the Fresh Prince versus Fred Mertz." Those California liberals threatening to boycott Chinese products? Impossible! "The Chinese even make the 'Free Tibet' stickers!"
Which led to a leering bit about gymnasts. "It's like horizontal pole dancing. Who invented this? It's like 'Daddy needs to watch this alone now.' "
He did four-letter words. He did Larry Craig jokes. He was unrepeatably vulgar and un-PC. And the well-bred red-white-and-blue crowd loved it. But seriously, folks: Williams also spoke about how honored he was to perform with the USO for troops overseas -- where he said he can be much more blue. ("Makes my material here look Amish.")
Also in twinkling good cheer: President Bush, who mistily told the brass and enlisted folks present, "I am some kind of proud to be your commander in chief." He kind of hilariously paid tribute to the USO for aiding and entertaining the troops. "Morale is the greatest single factor in a successful war," he said. "The moment things began to turn around in Iraq is when the USO deployed Jessica Simpson."

Back