Honest Opinions Desired

Sherridan states
For instance, the Monarchy in Britain? The crown has been passed down from lord knows when.... the original land owners still own the land? Folks are just allowed to live on those lands? What have the royals done to earn what they have?
Now, I am one of those pesky colonist who has no clue how it all works in your country... I admire that the offspring serve in the military... but it is all a hand-me-down... I am off topic aren't I?.

Well don't they allow property to left to the next of kin on the owners death in America, don't people rent land in America from those that have to much. Are you suggesting that America should take up the Communist doctrine were every thing belongs to the state and every works for the state. Now there are many a family that have lost every thing over the years by bad management and others which have increased their share of the wealth or is this Un American. The Royal Family handed most of their lands over to the government many many years ago and that Land is now known as the Crown Estates and brings in the government a lot of money and in return the royal family get a civic allowance which is only a fraction of what the government makes of the Crown Estates. like many things it is all smoke and mirrors

Sherridan states
For instance, the Monarchy in Britain? The crown has been passed down from lord knows when.... the original land owners still own the land? Folks are just allowed to live on those lands? What have the royals done to earn what they have?
Now, I am one of those pesky colonist who has no clue how it all works in your country... I admire that the offspring serve in the military... but it is all a hand-me-down... I am off topic aren't I?.

Well don't they allow property to left to the next of kin on the owners death in America, don't people rent land in America from those that have to much. Are you suggesting that America should take up the Communist doctrine were every thing belongs to the state and every works for the state. Now there are many a family that have lost every thing over the years by bad management and others which have increased their share of the wealth or is this Un American. The Royal Family handed most of their lands over to the government many many years ago and that Land is now known as the Crown Estates and brings in the government a lot of money and in return the royal family get a civic allowance which is only a fraction of what the government makes of the Crown Estates. like many things it is all smoke and mirrors
see, I learned something...... I did admit my ignorance of how it all works in your neck of the woods... and, hopefully, I didn't suggest that communist doctrine thing... I like the fact that we can buy and sell land. I was under the impression that regular Joe's in your country could not own land... just the use of it - rented, for lack of better term.

People seem to forget that the American dream in it's hay required a list of other budding devloping countries or countries reconstructing after WW ll to sell things to. People came to the U.S. to work and buy.

At this rate people will soon be coming to the U.S. just to buy. The "American Dream" cannot be established nor maintaned by the U.S. alone especially with all this modern "globalisation" stuff going on.

With India and China's middle class and purchasing power on the up and up, and American manufucturing stunted most likely forever, our suppliers will soon just go where the money is and sell there, shedding little focus on us "broke Americans."

• We exported our manufacuring.
  • We exported our middle class.
  • We exported our unemployment in the finacial crisis when suppliers had no orders for their factories.
  • Now we are exporting our American Dream. Which once again, depends on outside buyers to sustain it's quality of life for those select few fortunate enough to enjoy it's merits. Whether in today's world they are American or Not.
Also I think that any one man who fancies himself ballsy enough to state he alone will reinstate the economic structure required for the Dream is either a two faced liar, or is running for election.

So to tie all this together I just completely ignore both running canidates when the bable on about the restoration of the American Dream in one mandate nonsense.

And focus on other more realistic, and more tangible policy topics that they may actually be able to managed in one mandate. Such as stunting our debt bubble, or encouraging the destruction of teachers unions.

The more positive side of political entertainment.

I think you are a little bit to pessimistic about your country. More and more corporations are coming back from China to the US. The ones who stay there is for local consumption, not export. The sky is the limit is coming back, it used to be the sky is in China for a while. Of course, I cannot predict the future so this is only my point of view. But that US production in China is comming back to the US is a fact.

What politicians say and do afterwards now is the same as it always have been. That's why they are politicians. They are the sharks, we are the goldfish.

Sheridan..

Even from the year dot you could buy and own land over here if you had the money to buy it and some one that wanted to sell it. A vast number of people over here own there own properties and the land that it stands on.

Sheridan..

Even from the year dot you could buy and own land over here if you had the money to buy it and some one that wanted to sell it. A vast number of people over here own there own properties and the land that it stands on.
see. youz guyz is edumacating me. :)

I would have enjoyed visiting your country...... a whole schithouse of history in them parts...

oh, and for you who are of a mind, most just call me *tank*..

Tank, the monarchy in UK is a Constitutional Monarchy, they cannot make and pass laws, that's the job of the house of commons by issuing various papers. However, before a law passed by the house of commons comes into force, it has to be voted on by the house of lords and can only become law when and only when the Queen signs it into law.

I think I got that right, its been many years since I studied the monarchy at school.

As a matter of interest, some have said that the present Royal Family (House of Windsor) have no right to the British crown, but should be held by the House of Plantagenet's, the head of whom now lives in Australia and has done so for the past 40 odd years. He's often referred to by his mates as "That Pomy bastard."

Its all very complicated and mind boggling.

Last edited:
Hey BritinAfrica.....The chap in Australia with a claim to the throne died this year, still he has children.

Tank, the monarchy in UK is a Constitutional Monarchy, they cannot make and pass laws, that's the job of the house of commons by issuing various papers. However, before a law passed by the house of commons comes into force, it has to be voted on by the house of lords and can only become law when and only when the Queen signs it into law.

I think I got that right, its been many years since I studied the monarchy at school.

As a matter of interest, some have said that the present Royal Family (House of Windsor) have no right to the British crown, but should be held by the House of Plantagenet's, the head of whom now lives in Australia and has done so for the past 40 odd years. He's often referred to by his mates as "That Pomy bastard."

Dammmmmmmmmn

The House of Plantagenet ( /plænˈtædʒənət/ plan-taj-ə-nət) was a royal house founded by Geoffrey V of Anjou, father of Henry II of England. The name, which originates from a nickname attributed to Geoffrey, is not contemporary, and has been retroactively applied to Geoffrey's descendents since the 15th century. As a dynasty, the family is considered a branch of the Angevins; their paternal ancestors originated in the French province of Gâtinais and gained the County of Anjou through marriage during the 11th century. The dynasty accumulated several other holdings, building the Angevin Empire that at its peak stretched from the Pyrenees to Ireland and the border with Scotland.
In total, fifteen Plantagenet monarchs, including those belonging to cadet branches, ruled England from 1154 until 1485. The senior branch ruled from Henry II until the deposition of Richard II in 1399. After that a junior branch, the House of Lancaster, ruled for some fifty years before clashing with another branch, the House of York, over control of England in a civil war known as the Wars of the Roses. After three ruling Lancastrian monarchs, the crown passed to three Yorkist monarchs, the last of whom, Richard III, was killed in the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485. The legitimate male line went extinct with the execution of Richard's nephew, Edward, Earl of Warwick in 1499. However an illegitimate scion, Arthur Plantagenet, Viscount Lisle, was active at the court of Henry VIII of England. Several illegitimate lines persist, including the Dukes of Beaufort.
A distinctive English culture and art emerged during the Plantagenet era, encouraged by some of the monarchs who were patrons of the "father of English poetry", Geoffrey Chaucer. The Gothic architecture style was popular during the time, with buildings such as Westminster Abbey and York Minster remodelled in that style. There were also lasting developments in the social sector, such as John of England's sealing of the Magna Carta. This was influential in the development of constitutional law. Political institutions such as the Parliament of England and the Model Parliament originate from the Plantagenet period, as do educational institutions including the universities of Cambridge and Oxford.
The eventful political climate of the day saw the Hundred Years' War, where the Plantagenets battled with the House of Valois for control of the Kingdom of France, and the War of the Roses. Some of the Plantagenet kings were renowned as warriors: Henry V of England left his mark with a famous victory against larger numbers at the Battle of Agincourt, and Richard I of England had earlier distinguished himself in the Third Crusade; he was later romanticised as an iconic figure in English folklore.

more complicated to follow then the Bible... Keeping it all straight can give a soul a serious headache... No wonder you guys wrestle alligators and drink warm beer - :) :p

so, if the Queen stomps her foot down and says "NO WAY" or "I WANT IT" it still has to go through the houses? Supposed to kinda be that way here, but of late *king barry* seems to be flipping us off.

speaking of *flipping off*... read somewhere that waaaaaaay back when at some battle between you guys and France there was something about the middle finger and firing arrows.... any additional info

On a side note....... read a series called the Hornblower Series... about Lord Nelson... great read - wore them out I read them so often... CS Forester puts the ocean spray right in your face.

hopefully if he wins a second term he can put pressure on the leaders of israel and palestine to make the two state solution a reality

I think you're confusing us with the Aussies!! :D :D :D
nah, them Aussie types just ain't righ... but then can't blame them, walkin 6 zillion miles through scorched backlands just to find one of them *billybong* places just to drink a beer.. its youz guys that eat Haggis and blood pudding........
see! I know all abouts you folks - I done read it sumwheres.

Oh lordy, where am I EVER going to find a good hot-dog over here? With chili.:-D

I can't stand Haggis even though I live not far from the Scottish border, black pudding however, I would eat till it comes out of my ears, I love the stuff, my youngest hates it. :D

Oh lordy, where am I EVER going to find a good hot-dog over here? With chili.:-D

There you go. ;)

hot-dog.jpg

I can't stand Haggis even though I live not far from the Scottish border, black pudding however, I would eat till it comes out of my ears, I love the stuff, my youngest hates it. :D

looked it up... saw spam-like slices, sliced like salami... something in a ball and there was this

full_pork_black_pudding_pie_400h.gif

if I am to stock it at the FOO-Bar gotta know which is the most desired...

see, another reason why I would have liked visiting your country... to taste the food... is it spicy?

you know, I may need some clarification here... I was looking up Australian food and this was one of the images.......

arm1.jpg

:shock:

must be rough in them parts...

you know I had an opportunity to visit Australia back in the day when going on R&R........... boy did I blow it considering what my friends told me when they came back.. super friendly they said, folks opened their houses to them, gave them a great time... and all because I didn't think they'd let me rent a car (was just 19).......

different question........ Syria??

Personally I say let that neck of the woods eat themselves... and let the pieces fall where they may..

but, do you think we (US) should get involved? If we did I see, once again, pulling you guys into the fray. Is it time for us to let the rest of the world take care of it. The UN is useless, sucks in our money, tells us to kiss it's azz... so, turn off the teat, kick them out and let them figure things out. What say y'all?

full_pork_black_pudding_pie_400h.gif

if I am to stock it at the FOO-Bar gotta know which is the most desired...

see, another reason why I would have liked visiting your country... to taste the food... is it spicy?

Can't beat a decent pie. One of my favourites is sausage, egg, bacon, beans and black pudding pie. My local bakery also does chicken curry pie and lamb and mint sauce pie. ;)

Back