Is Hollywood right to rewrite WW2 history?

well speaking of biased movies. i don't know the name of it but it was when the soviets took over and the US fought back and won? How was it possible if they took over? No idea ,but i know that no one planned to take over anyone in the cold war thats for sure

that would be Red Dawn.

The story line was kind of dry, but it was amusing to watch a bunch of kinds waste the Soviets. Back then, the Soviets were the enemy. I have nothing against Russia now.

I had to say that so people wouldn't think I am a hater :shock:

Doody said:
that would be Red Dawn.

The story line was kind of dry, but it was amusing to watch a bunch of kinds waste the Soviets. Back then, the Soviets were the enemy. I have nothing against Russia now.

Well thats true it was like propoganda, but how can kids take out a modern trained army like the soviets?

drilldownmaster2004 said:
Doody said:
that would be Red Dawn.

Well thats true it was like propoganda, but how can kids take out a modern trained army like the soviets?

How did the Afghan's take out the Soviets? ;)

03USMC said:
drilldownmaster2004 said:
Doody said:
that would be Red Dawn.

Well thats true it was like propaganda, but how can kids take out a modern trained army like the soviets?

How did the Afghan's take out the Soviets? ;)
they didn't they had aid from the US and on the soviets part there was bad leadership, and not that much will to fight in the last bad years.
Which leads us to RAMBO...I don't care how well trained the guy is he can't kill 100's of russians alone

oh jeez guys, are you telling me i shouldn't believe everything i saw in Pearl Harbor? :shock: you know, i went there hoping that maybe this time around the japanese wouldn't surprise us.

i think a well researched movie can be interesting. i thought Saving Private Ryan was good. not for the historical accuracy, but for everything else. if anything, these movies bring attention to the vets that fought these wars and i think that's more important. Anyone remember Mel Gibson's We Were Soldiers?

egoz said:
i think a well researched movie can be interesting. i thought Saving Private Ryan was good. not for the historical accuracy, but for everything else. if anything, these movies bring attention to the vets that fought these wars and i think that's more important. Anyone remember Mel Gibson's We Were Soldiers?

Oh yeah, one hell of a movie.

We Were Soldiers and Saving Private Ryan had one thing in common. The directers in both movies consulted veterans who were actually there before making the film.

I know Saving PVT Ryan is a made up story, but it says something when the WWII veterans who saw the movie had flash backs. They never had flashbacks after seeing John Wayne's The Longest Day.

The #1 reason that Hollywood tends to slant its telling of everything toward a USA perspective is obvious -- they're in the USA and marketing their movies primarily toward American audiences. They will probably always be biased that way, and there aren't many places outside of Hollywood to go to for making you are REALLY solidly made movie.

I suppose the producers and directors must think the real historical account is just too boring.

I dont mind hollywood making up stories set in WW2 or vietnam etc. as long as they arent based on real events they can do what they like, but if they base it on a real event then they should stick to what actually happened, not dishonour the memory of the people who actually fought by ignoring them and replacing them with someone else, or changing it to suit them (see U571)

Hollywood movies are made to make money, plain and simple. They will continue to make movies that pay little details to historic accuracy if those movies bringing in money. I certainly hope kids are not learning everything from the movies, or the hospitals will be filled with children with spider bites.

the sad thing is most people wont pick up a book and read, they will just watch the film instead..and believe it too...

its sad because our grandparents died defending our country and attackintg the enemy, and are forgotten about, or even more disrespectfully, replaced by another country in films which kids grow up beleiving....

hey what about me!!!!

hey can i just ask..............."saving private ryan"...........did america have their own beach to storm in that film lol cus i didn't see any of the south africans, french, british lol.......................

You think they could of asked a brit and said "hey private have ya seen this us soldier?"

I know the film is about american soldiers etc and can understadn why no other nationalities were shown apart from the nazi's but when the uk have done war film we have shown other countries.

I wanna be an extra lol

the problem is that despite the fact that we all know that movies are entertainment and are not accurate and are there not to tell a story, but to put bums on seats, many people do not realise this.
i work in a cinema and the ammount of people we have coming out of movies talking as though what happened in the movie was gospel truth is really scary.
people are not questioning what is put in front of them, their logic appears to be "if its ina cinema it must have been well researched and true" which is simply not the case. as it has been stated many times, if you want historical accuracy, go to your local book store and buy a book. even they have some biases and gloss over some details but on the whole they are better than hollywood will ever do
often these days when a movie has the chance to be smart and it actualyl shows some potential, this is lost because the director is more focused on having nifty special effects, it seems that characters and plot are of secondary importance behind effects and making the hero seem heroic. they forget that these people are jsut that, people and because of it they have flaws. this is something else hollywood has great difficulty, doing: showing anything more than one dimensional characters. the bad guy is bad. full stop. the good guy is good and only ever does good. black and white. and its funny how often when a film does start to show the grey areas of characters personality (ie flawed people, capable of good and bad) its often a tremendous movie and generally gets a swag of awards

what would be your worst example of an audience swallowing as gospel a movie script?

or in your opinion, the worst butchering of an actual event/character?

Back