Hole through a tank

No MERCY

The U.S government has taken a tnak to testing labs. It was in Iraq and someone has found the technology to pierce our armored tanks. An RPG had gone straight through the side and out the other. If you have any knowledge or want to discuss these thing s tell and post more. This is amazing and the technology must be ours.

Where did you hear this? If you have a link please post it. If it is indeed true it is a terribly bad thing to say the least.

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH....If I hear anymore about the "Golden BB" conspiracy, I think I will have an anuerysm!

1. What you are talking about is an RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) with a standoff spike. The reason it was made with a standoff spike is to make the shaped charge from the plasma jet generate enough velocity to pierce. This is MY theory.

2. The shot in question was a VERY lucky (I'm talking about just stupid-can-probably-never-happen-again kind of luck) shot. I'm talking about luck on the scale of a 1:1 bajillion of a chance. This guy shouldn't have been shooting a tank. He should have played Poweball. If it was so lethal, we would have already lost a HUNDRED tanks to this tactic, not just one.

3. The RPG did not "(go) straight through the side and out the other". Think about this for a second. An RPG is a Chemical Energy projectile, meaning that it uses the energey from a chemical reaction (in this case, a plasma jet caused by a shaped charge warhead). It does not use kinetic energy to punch through anything. When the PRG detonates, it effectively destroys the RPG. So there is no way it could "come out the other side".

Take it from me, dude. Look at (1) my screen name, and (2) my location. Without disclosing anything, 'nuff said.

dragon_master_gunner said:
AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH....If I hear anymore about the "Golden BB" conspiracy, I think I will have an anuerysm!

Take it from me, dude. Look at (1) my screen name, and (2) my location. Without disclosing anything, 'nuff said.

:lol:
Well said..

Sorry, Redleg. I am just sick and tired of all the stories I hear paeople make up about our tanks, and I gaurantee you they have never, or will never see the stuff close up.

I AM HERE, man.

Yes

I'd say that dragon_master_gunner said it all. Saying somthing like: "someone has found the technology to pierce our armored tanks" is redicules. Hundreds and hundreds of RPG7s were fired at American tanks.
Probably thousends were fired at Israeli tanks. Ive heard of the RPG destroying a modern MBT twice. The last one was about 10 years ago. RPGs are not new "technology"...They are amongst the oldest AT measures used in the world. Similar to the German Panzerfousts and American Bazookas of WWII. In 1993 in Somalia RPG7s shot down 2 US Blackhawks. Are you saying that the RPG is a AAA weapon two...?NO it was damn luck. Acctually, Id say that the RPG7 is a more effective AA weapon(when used by the dozens) the a AT weapon. I head that a US helicopter was shot down in IRAq by mortar fire...Dose that mean that the Iraqis have new and sophistcated AA mortars?!
Nonsence.

LOL @ AA Mortars!!!!!

Dude, Sherman, I feel your pain, Brother. I wish I had a nickel for every time I hear that stupid "golden bb" story. I mean, CNN blew it ALL out of porportion. They made it seem like the Iraqis had a SUPER AT weapon and were killing tanks by the hundreds.

With all due respect to my fallen comrades in the tank, God rest thier souls, they were victims of just blind, stupid bad luck.

OBTW, the guy that SHOT the SUPER AT RPG....? About 5 seconds later, he was MIST. No sh*t. cut down by like a hundred 7.62mm rounds from the M240 COAX from the M1's wingman. You reap what you sow....

If it is the incident i think it is i seem to recall that only the gunner got injured in the incident?

It was posted on tank-net.org forums couple of months ago, when the pictures where in a marine online paper, they where pulled a few days later though, so to not show any weak spots publicly, due to the war being on. General consensus agmonst the tankers, ex-tankers and well read amarurs on the field in the forum agreed that it was a one in a million shot.

It might have just been the gunner. I thought the Driver got killed, as well. It was a while back, so my memory on the casualties is a little hazy. Bottom line is: it wasn't a 1 in a milion shot, it was a 1 in a GAZILLION shot.

Ha...

Well, a RPG7 round really shouldent kill the entire crew..It might well have been that the crew got the chance to return fire...CNN are a bunch of morons. Like every news channel they are incompetent about military equipment.

You're right it seems smart not to release information on how to even GET a 1/10000000000000000000000 chance to destroy our tanks.

captain

A captain fromUSAF told the cadets on friday. What i ment was the united states needs to find it and test. Or we have to destroy or find out whois making it.

army jrotc boy said:
seriosly tho im considering bieng a tank gunner...is this rpg possible in any theory?

It is possible, but as Dragon_Master_Gunner said:
it wasn't a 1 in a milion shot, it was a 1 in a GAZILLION shot.

It's the same as shooting down planes with mortars; it's possible, but it doesn't make a mortar an AA weapon.....

dude

we have to destroy or find out whois making it.

The RPG was made by the USSR in great noumbers....I dont think you have to look hard to find it...its that big country east of eaurop... ;)

rpg is not made to pierc the tanks , then RPG hits the tank its detonates and produces very hot heat wawe that melts trought the tank, ussaly then that happends ammo in the tank is exploding and the turret is flying off

Back