Hogan's Heroes

coastwatcher42

As I am sitting here browsing the forum, Hogan's Heroes is on TV. I always enjoyed this show. What does everyone else think of it? I saw something on TV one time about it and, if I'm not mistaken, the actors who portrayed Colonel Klink and Sgt. Schultz were of Jewish descent.

John Banner was Jewish and came to the US before the war. He inlisted in the US military. His family was killed in the Concentration camps so he found it difficult playing Nazi parts, which he did often because of his accent.

Last edited:
Love that show!!!!!! Werner Kemplerer (Klink) was Austrian if I remember correctly.

I loved that show, I think my favorite parts were when general used to threaten Klink with a trip to the Russian Front, or anytime that SS guy showed up to stir up trouble and Hogan and the boys outsmarted them all :)

Hochstetter was the SS dude. He was so funny. Always asking "Who is this man!?!" when Hogan came into Klink's office. Hehehe

Yea that's him, I'm glad you know cause I'd have never got the name right, but I do remember he was a Major :)

Howard Caine, the man who played Hochstetter, played at least two other characters on Hogan's Heroes. Maybe three, but I remember two for sure. Colonel Feldkamp and Major Keitel.

Yes....Yes I am a fountain of useless information. :p

Such a great series. Loed the little tricks too disguising their equipment.
How many kids would love a bunk bed that led to an underground hideaway?

Ahh F troop.
Loved the Hakowie Indians!!!Did Captain Parmenter ever get into the chicks pants!!!! ie Marry her?

Werner Kempeler was Jewish. There was some article in a newspaper somewhere where he said he only played Klink so as to make fun of the Nazis.

They are re-playing the series on GO (one of the new FTA stations here on OZ)

Favorite scene (although there are many) was when Shultz is is helping to load food stocks into the new Officers mess, made by the prisoners in the shape of a boat, so they can smuggle out a prisoner.
Shultz is carrying a case marked Hors d'œuvres and asks Lebeau "Where do you want these Horse Doovy-ayes"

If memory serves me correctly, Werner Klemperer was well known for his singing voice. Tenor perhaps? I know it was rich and deep because when he passed, we heard it on t.v..fyi

Back