HMS Prince of Wales unlucky?

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Is the name 'HMS Prince pf Wales ' unlucky? The last ship bearing this name had problems in her battle with the Bismark, finally ending up sunk by the Japanese alongside HMS Repulse off the east coast of Malaya. The latest HMS Prince of Wales costing £3.1 Billions pounds has been beset with problems almost from day 1. Her joint training with the USN was cancelled due to problems on her starboard propellor shaft.
Her sister ship, HMS Queen Elizabeth took her place with the USN.

Is the name 'HMS Prince pf Wales ' unlucky? The last ship bearing this name had problems in her battle with the Bismark, finally ending up sunk by the Japanese alongside HMS Repulse off the east coast of Malaya. The latest HMS Prince of Wales costing £3.1 Billions pounds has been beset with problems almost from day 1. Her joint training with the USN was cancelled due to problems on her starboard propellor shaft.
Her sister ship, HMS Queen Elizabeth took her place with the USN.

Depends how you look at it, it was lucky that Bismarck decided not to go after it, the problems were pretty much due to it being unfinished when it went to sea but it still hit the Bismarck three times, it's loss was primarily due to the stupidity of command that sent two capital ships into enemy controlled waters without air support.

Aren't the majority of sailors superstitious? I vaguely remember concerns about having a new cruise ship with the name Titanic II.

Aren't the majority of sailors superstitious? I vaguely remember concerns about having a new cruise ship with the name Titanic II.

I remember there being superstitious comments about the problems showing up in the Titan I series with the Titan IC having major issues on the launchpad.

Titan I was quickly replaced by the Titan II and the problems were less noticeable.

Amazing what people will believe.

Then again, the "IC" ships had issues with the Britannic sunk by a U-Boat in WW1 and the Titanic hitting an iceberg only the Olympic made it to the scrap yard.

Back