HMS Glorious - Page 2

--

August 28th, 2019  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
What the dictionary define as moral

"Concerned with or derived from the code of behaviour that is considered right or acceptable in a particular society."

I have no idea what that means, I usually let the gin and the lime soda decide what is right and acceptable
I prefer Ashbach, after four or ten tots I don't give a toss
August 29th, 2019  
I3BrigPvSk

When we were talking about HMS Glorious, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, and HMS Hood, I began to think about when Swordfish planes accidentally attacked HMS Sheffield. I think Americans planes accidentally attacked US ships during the battle of Coral Sea. Fortunately, they missed the ships. Do you guys know about any other blunders?
August 30th, 2019  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
When we were talking about HMS Glorious, Bismarck, Prinz Eugen, and HMS Hood, I began to think about when Swordfish planes accidentally attacked HMS Sheffield. I think Americans planes accidentally attacked US ships during the battle of Coral Sea. Fortunately, they missed the ships. Do you guys know about any other blunders?
If I remember correctly the skipper of HMS Sheffield signalled to the attacking carrier, ""Lets be friends this time.""
--
August 30th, 2019  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
If I remember correctly the skipper of HMS Sheffield signalled to the attacking carrier, ""Lets be friends this time.""
Did the carrier reply?

I remember vaguely something about a German pilot getting really pissed about being shot at when he landed at his airbase in Italy, he began to swear to the ground crew, but they weren't Germans, they were Americans. They had capture the airbase while he was up in the air
August 31st, 2019  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Did the carrier reply?

I remember vaguely something about a German pilot getting really pissed about being shot at when he landed at his airbase in Italy, he began to swear to the ground crew, but they weren't Germans, they were Americans. They had capture the airbase while he was up in the air
I would assume they would reply.

A few RAF aircraft were shot at by poingo's during the Battle of Britain guarding the airfields with 40mm Bofors, some were shot down.
September 1st, 2019  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I would assume they would reply.

A few RAF aircraft were shot at by poingo's during the Battle of Britain guarding the airfields with 40mm Bofors, some were shot down.
The Italians had similar issues, Italo Balbo was killed while trying to land at Tobruk in 1940.

Arthur Longmore C n C RAF Middle East at the time had an aircraft drop a wreath and condolences note at the airfield.

The Battle of Barking Creek is an interesting account of one of the first RAF's friendly fire incidents and there is a fairly complete write up of the action in the book Tiger Cub.

Operation Cottage is another example of poor communication leading to a friendly fire incident.