Hitler's birthplace still stands.

--

March 25th, 2015  
sandwichery

Topic: Hitler's birthplace still stands.

The Austrian city of Braunau am Inn is facing a problem. The inhabitants are trying to figure out what to do with the building that Adolf Hitler was born in. It's kind of hard to believe that 70 years after his death the place is still standing. Below is an article from the New York Times describing the situation for this town that would probably like to put it's past behind it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/wo...evil.html?_r=1
March 25th, 2015  
MontyB

I am not sure I understand the significance of a place the guy was born in, it isn't like he planned his campaigns there or he carried out mass murder there its just a house with a link to Hitler and it is a link he had no control over.

After all it isn't the houses fault Hitler went off on a murderous rampage 50 years later.
March 25th, 2015  
Yossarian

Well the semi preserved his bunker but want to destroy his birth home?

Logic.
--
March 26th, 2015  
LeEnfield

If you pull down it wont change the fact he was born there and all the records will show that. So do we now destroy all the records of it and then remove his father and mother and all his relations. If you go down this path it can go on for ever and then it will still be whispered about it.
March 26th, 2015  
JOC

The place is basically irrelevant.
March 26th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
If you pull down it wont change the fact he was born there and all the records will show that. So do we now destroy all the records of it and then remove his father and mother and all his relations. If you go down this path it can go on for ever and then it will still be whispered about it.
Exactly, hiding these things gives them a life of their own and that can be far more dangerous than being open about them.
March 26th, 2015  
tetvet

-removed by admin-
March 26th, 2015  
sandwichery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
-removed by admin-
The post or the thread itself?
March 26th, 2015  
tetvet

The building has remained standing for whatever reason , what that reason could be might be a mystery or maybe people just view it as a old building .
March 27th, 2015  
JOC

One thing that bugs me is you don’t see large groups following Mao, Stalin or Adi Amin, but Hitler (who was responsible for more death and hardship than any of them) is still popular today (at least with some groups in the USA). All the more reason to be vigilant. I don't think the thing about his birthplace matters much one way or the other. It was pretty insignificance as far as the Hitler and the Nazi's were concerned.