Hitler: Insane Or Genius? - Page 7




View Poll Results :Hitler...
Insane Idiot 26 34.67%
Brilliant Madman 49 65.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

 
--
 
June 1st, 2009  
senojekips
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EladBell
i have to say that despite the fact he killed alot of my family and my poeple...he was a genoius for being able to do so....its horrfing how a man can be smart and dumb on the same time
most "smart" people seem to be aware that they are smart, and this often leads to them thinking that they are actually a lot smarter than they really are. This is most evident in his idea that he was a great military tactician, whereas those early victories that led to this assumption were more likely as a result of his generals planning. Once Adolph started trying to micro manage the forces,things went down hill fast(er).

Being manipulative was one of his greater skills.
June 1st, 2009  
mmarsh
 
 
How can anyone say Hitler was a Genius? Hitlers victories both Military and political were because of the fear, cowardice and incompetence of his adversaries not because of some grand insight on his part.

Sure he was clever, but He was also extraordinarily Lucky. He was lucky that Hindenburg, and von Papen underestimated him and that Chamberlin and the various French Presidents feared him.

Hitler assumptions were almost always wrong, even when he benefited from them. For example he assumed that France and the UK would defend Czechosolakia while at the same time he thought they wouldnt bother going to war over Poland. He was wrong both times. He assumed Britain would sue for peace after the defeat of France, (wrong) that Russia would be finished in a few weeks (wrong), that Italy, Spain, Romania, Austra would be a useful allies (wrong), that America would stay out due to the isolationist movement (wrong) etc etc etc...
June 2nd, 2009  
BritinAfrica
 
 
He can't be too bright declaring war on the biggest industrial nation in the world.
--
June 2nd, 2009  
EladBell
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
How can anyone say Hitler was a Genius? Hitlers victories both Military and political were because of the fear, cowardice and incompetence of his adversaries not because of some grand insight on his part.

Sure he was clever, but He was also extraordinarily Lucky. He was lucky that Hindenburg, and von Papen underestimated him and that Chamberlin and the various French Presidents feared him.

Hitler assumptions were almost always wrong, even when he benefited from them. For example he assumed that France and the UK would defend Czechosolakia while at the same time he thought they wouldnt bother going to war over Poland. He was wrong both times. He assumed Britain would sue for peace after the defeat of France, (wrong) that Russia would be finished in a few weeks (wrong), that Italy, Spain, Romania, Austra would be a useful allies (wrong), that America would stay out due to the isolationist movement (wrong) etc etc etc...

well reading the Political map is a great trait...and the man...who was brilliant...with a wicked Idiology knew how to read the political map and how and when to do certian things...u have to face it...it was fear...it was luck but a regular person such as me cold never succeed to control the entire world with out shooting a sinlge bullet.
and then came Sept' 1939.....
June 3rd, 2009  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
How can anyone say Hitler was a Genius? Hitlers victories both Military and political were because of the fear, cowardice and incompetence of his adversaries not because of some grand insight on his part.

Sure he was clever, but He was also extraordinarily Lucky. He was lucky that Hindenburg, and von Papen underestimated him and that Chamberlin and the various French Presidents feared him.

Hitler assumptions were almost always wrong, even when he benefited from them. For example he assumed that France and the UK would defend Czechosolakia while at the same time he thought they wouldnt bother going to war over Poland. He was wrong both times. He assumed Britain would sue for peace after the defeat of France, (wrong) that Russia would be finished in a few weeks (wrong), that Italy, Spain, Romania, Austra would be a useful allies (wrong), that America would stay out due to the isolationist movement (wrong) etc etc etc...
I am going to agree with this, over all I think he started out as a manipulative lunatic and evolved into a delusional psychotic maniac who was extremely lucky (which in itself fed his delusions).

It would be nice to be able to attribute whatever "good" Germany managed to do between 1933 and 1939 to Hitler but I am more convinced that it was just pure luck that some of the sycophantic lackeys that formed the Nazi party also had some ability at the posts they were assigned.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
He can't be too bright declaring war on the biggest industrial nation in the world.
I don't know I really don't think he had a choice but declare war on Russia.
June 3rd, 2009  
mmarsh
 
 
MontyB

Actually I think BritinAfrica meant America (correct me if I'm wrong, Brit).

I think Hitler did have a choice to invade Russia. War with Germany was the LAST thing Stalin wanted (he was too busy killing his own people, to have time to kill somebody else). A smart man knew the risks involved of invading the USSR, Hitlers Generals did, as did many of his staff like von Rittentrop who argued against it. In this case Hitler was relying on his ideological hatred, and like Napoleon his ego, so convinced he was that he couldnt not fail. At least Napoleon had some martial skill to back up his ego, Hitler was relying on his gamblers luck which had worked so well in the past. Hitler made the mistake in thinking luck would be with him indefinatly, but all luck runs out eventually.

Hitler was a shrewd and ruthless politician, and like all bullies he was very good at manipulating weak people, but when he actually faced resistence his leadership abilities...lacked.
June 3rd, 2009  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Yes I did mean the USA.

If Hitler hadnt declared war on the US, would I be right in thinking the US would have declared war on Germany?
June 3rd, 2009  
mmarsh
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Yes I did mean the USA.

If Hitler hadnt declared war on the US, would I be right in thinking the US would have declared war on Germany?
No, I think America's entry into WWII was garenteed at some point. FDR and most of the people in Washington recognized Hitler as a serious threat and wanted to take him out. The problem was the enormous isolationist movement in the USA at the time. If Hitler had decided to stay out of it, FDR would have had to justify Americas entry by some other means, which he probably would have found, for example in the sinking of US ships which was precisely the justification of America's entry in WWI. There is no arguement that Hitler decision made FDR's job so much easier, and that history should FDR have thanked Hitler for his shortsighted stupidity.
June 13th, 2009  
Pakistan Army
 
Atleast for Germans he was an Angel from God who wanted to see the Germany ruling the Globe
June 13th, 2009  
senojekips
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakistan Army
Atleast for Germans he was an Angel from God who wanted to see the Germany ruling the Globe
I think you are quite correct.

The German people's admiration of Hitler was bought about by the fact that he turned the country's fortunes around once he became Chancellor attaining high employment and lifting the standard of living enormously.

After the privations the German people had been suffering as a result of War reparations for WWI, followed by the depression, it's no wonder they were willing to overlook some of his less desirable traits. He would certainly have appeared to be a genius to them. One only has to be in the shoes of the German population who had suffered through the 1920s to see why they were willing to do anything for him.