History of America - question.

Thank you guys; strong, positive responses, just as I expected. As an outsider, I am just keeping my powder dry for the moment, to give a few other players the time to contribute. I believe I have a legitimate candidate, based on significance and I will put it forward soon.:cowb:

Revolutionary War obviously, without a doubt, after that probably the Civil War and finally WWII, I'm wondering what will be big in this century.

OK. Here goes. There are significant differences between the persona of Americans and Europeans today; focus on the prosecution of wars; can do, go for it attitudes, hopefulness, liberty and freedom, independence, resilience etc., etc.

The development of these characteristics is what has been signicifant regarding the America we see today, and for this reason, significance, I put this forward as the key event :-

The bare-handed subjugation of the great wilderness that stretched across the width of the world’s largest continent.

Any takers?

If it was the USA that controlled the entire continent, i'd take it on... as it is, i feel that statement is inaccurate.

but then personally i see "America" as the USA.

And, Russia > USA

OK. Here goes. There are significant differences between the persona of Americans and Europeans today; focus on the prosecution of wars; can do, go for it attitudes, hopefulness, liberty and freedom, independence, resilience etc., etc.

The development of these characteristics is what has been signicifant regarding the America we see today, and for this reason, significance, I put this forward as the key event :-

The bare-handed subjugation of the great wilderness that stretched across the width of the world’s largest continent.

Any takers?
No, for a multitude of reasons.

First off, there are a number of Europeans who think as you do, and a number of Americans who think as you say Europeans do. And it seems that the majority of Europeans actually CARE about politics, while Americans have a tendency to think it's too hard to understand. It's why Paris Hilton's every move is news.

Second, the so-called Patriot Act removes privacy similar to how eyes and ears all over Britain remove it there. A large number of American's don't even know the National Anthem, or where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Third, the land that we subjugated was already taken and had been well used by Native Americans for thousands of years prior to the creation of the United States. And Asia is larger than North America in both population and land area.

No, for a multitude of reasons.

First off, there are a number of Europeans who think as you do, and a number of Americans who think as you say Europeans do. And it seems that the majority of Europeans actually CARE about politics, while Americans have a tendency to think it's too hard to understand. It's why Paris Hilton's every move is news.

Second, the so-called Patriot Act removes privacy similar to how eyes and ears all over Britain remove it there. A large number of American's don't even know the National Anthem, or where the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Third, the land that we subjugated was already taken and had been well used by Native Americans for thousands of years prior to the creation of the United States. And Asia is larger than North America in both population and land area.

OK TOG - let's take a look at your rebuttal:-

1. First -How do I think? How do I say Europeans think? I do not accept your presumption about the majority of Europeans, and Paris Hilton is just as prominent, perhaps more, on this side of the Atlantic.

2. Secondly , I do not understand your privacy comments in this context, I did not mention such, we are considering a long gone era. Do you seriously believe that Europeans are better versed? The points I did mention were simply a list of atributes that tend to make USA liked or disliked by others. It refers to general attitudes and characteristics, not politics.

3. The point you make, for good or ill, was part of the overall challenge. We are talking significance re. the modern American persona.

And thanks for the geography lesson, but I would point out that I particularly said across the width of the world's largest continent. I did not specify USA simply because sensitivities of the timing of the event.
And regarding populations, we are referring to a wilderness at that time, an important pillar of the equation.

From what you present, it seems to me that your points would seem to support my view of the significance of the event upon the persona of modern America, rather that rebut it.:)

Last edited:
Back