Historic Task For A Top Negotiator

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Houston Chronicle
December 3, 2006
Pg. 1
Expectations run high as Baker draws on years of experience to help steer U.S. policy
By Anne Belli, Houston Chronicle
James A. Baker III is sitting in his law office above downtown Houston, taking a rare break from his role as co-chair of the Iraq Study Group.
The former U.S. secretary of state is bristling at depictions of him as a sort of magician who will somehow make the nation's Iraq problems disappear.
"It's unfortunate," he says, a bit annoyed. "Expectations are totally out of control. There is no magic formula for our difficulties in Iraq."
That may be true.
But if anticipation has been great, it's because the 76-year-old Baker — a Republican who was also secretary of state and chief of staff for two presidents — has spent much of the past 35 years pulling rabbits out of hats.
Brokering Middle East peace talks. Winning bipartisan support for tax reform. And galvanizing international support for the first Gulf War, which booted Iraqi troops out of Kuwait.
"He has an extraordinary ability to look at a problem and get to the essence of it," said former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. "He couples that with an ability to find an operational means to deal with it. ... Everybody knows how effective Baker was when he was operating in Washington."
'Critical moment'
Indeed, the man now at the center of what Kissinger and others call a "critical moment in our history" is known as a master negotiator who often solves problems by forging bipartisan support and by turning enemies into friends.
Said former President George H.W. Bush, whose life and career have been entwined with Baker's for decades: "The expectations are indeed high on this latest assignment, the Iraq Study Group. I do not know how all that will come out. I do know that the country is very lucky to have this tough, able, seasoned man as so-called head of the group."
No matter what the panel's recommendations when formally released Wednesday, those who have known Baker well say his legacy as a statesman already has been sealed.
Looking out the window of his office, Baker gives an easy smile while recalling a time in his life when — as a Democratic lawyer and occasional voter in Houston — politics was the last thing on his mind.
"I never dreamed I would do all this," he said. "I was programmed to be a lawyer. I came from a long line of lawyers."
To prove his point, he walks to the wall beside his desk and points out old newspaper clippings and photographs of his grandfather, Capt. James A. Baker. The headline, "Work Hard, Study and Keep out of Politics," was his grandfather's advice and the title of Baker's recent memoir.
As he has recently joked during a speech before the Houston World Affairs Council, "For the first 40 years of my life, that's what I did."
Baker's great-grandfather, a friend of Sam Houston's, founded the law firm Baker Botts. And both his grandfather and father were well-known lawyers.
Baker calls his father a "wonderful man," a stern disciplinarian who instilled in him a strong work ethic, a deep discipline, a healthy sense of competition and a love for the outdoors.
But perhaps the most important advice, Baker says, was what his workaholic father called the "Five P's" — Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.
"People are often surprised to hear a man my age recite it, and without embarrassment," Baker writes in his memoir. "But this was a gift from my father that has helped me in one way or another almost every day of my adult life."
Baker attended Princeton University, where he began honing his political views.
He wrote his senior thesis about the clash in the 1930s between two powerful members of Great Britain's Parliament — Aneurin Bevan, an idealist, and Ernest Bevin, a realist. He argued in favor of the pragmatist Bevin.
The nepotism policy at Baker Botts, where his father still practiced, prevented Baker from joining the family firm after he graduated from the University of Texas Law School. So he took a job with Andrews, Kurth, Campbell & Bradley, where he built a career as a general business lawyer.
The father of four sons, he was living the good life in 1968 when tragedy struck — his wife, Mary Stuart, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She passed away just two years later when Baker was 40. The event was even more difficult because neither Baker nor his wife had told their sons she was dying — "a mistake I now profoundly regret," he writes in his book.
Finding a friend
The path out of deep depression was laid by his friend and tennis partner, George H.W. Bush, who asked Baker to help run his 1970 campaign for Senate.
Though Baker was a Democrat and had no political experience, he agreed to switch parties and aid his good friend. They lost the race, but their partnership would endure.
In 1973, Baker married Susan Winston, a family friend and divorcee with three children of her own. Their blended family now included seven children — six boys and a girl.
Baker was tapped in 1975 to be undersecretary of the U.S. Commerce Department. It was there, he says, that he made his first big mistake in Washington.
Believing a comment to reporters was off the record, Baker remarked that it was unlikely that the controversial Secretary of State Kissinger would remain in the Cabinet if President Ford was elected the next November.
When the statement was printed in an Oklahoma paper, Kissinger was steamed.
"There have been better beginnings to a relationship," Kissinger said in a recent interview.
Nonetheless, President Ford asked Baker to first become his chief delegate hunter in the primary against Ronald Reagan, then-manager of his general election against Jimmy Carter.
Baker was pinching himself.
"Here I was only seven years away from being a Democratic lawyer in Houston and running a campaign for an incumbent president in a very, very close election," he said.
The next year, after President Ford lost, the Bakers added an eighth child to their brood. Baker, hooked on politics, ran for Texas attorney general in 1978 and lost.
Soon after, his old tennis partner turned to Baker for help again, this time to help him run his first campaign for president. Bush lost the primary to California's then-Gov. Ronald Reagan. But Reagan asked Baker to become his chief of staff, joining Counselor to the President Edwin Meese and Deputy Chief of Staff Michael Deaver in a famous troika of power.
Shortly after Reagan's second term began, Baker and Treasury Secretary Don Regan decided to switch jobs and took the idea to Reagan, who approved it.
Baker flourished at Treasury, while Regan resigned two years later amid the Iran-Contra affair.
Top of his game
The pinnacle of his Washington career, said Baker, came in 1988. After successfully running Bush's presidential campaign, he was named secretary of state.
During that time, he witnessed the end of the Cold War and the reunification of Germany, and made strides in the Arab-Israeli peace process and the coalition-building diplomatic initiative that preceded entering Kuwait to drive out Iraqi forces.
He also burnished his reputation for being one of the world's most influential negotiators, forging diplomatic ties through his realist policies.
"He was a master at being able to size up the domestic political situation in whatever foreign land he happened to be in order to accomplish something," said Margaret Tutwiler, who served as assistant secretary of state for public affairs and is one of Baker's closest advisers.
"After all," she added, "this is the man who got the parties in the Middle East to come to Madrid and sit at the same table, something that had never happened over 40 years."
Real nerve, and the willingness to exercise power the moment he's given it, also are Baker trademarks.
As deputy secretary of commerce under President Ford in 1976, he one-upped Kissinger just as the president was about to make a key speech.
Kissinger, who pushed for unlimited import of Chinese textiles at the time, wanted wording taken out of Ford's speech and called Air Force One hours before the address and successfully lobbied to remove it. But Baker, suspecting the play, had asked to be called if that happened. He was, and he made an even more successful appeal. The wording was restored.
Years later, hours after President Reagan's inaugural parade — and Baker's first day as chief of staff — he fended off then-Secretary of State Al Haig.

As work crews swept up confetti, Baker, Meese and Deaver were meeting in the White House when Haig suddenly confronted them with a 20-page document naming him the person in charge of crisis management in the administration. The three balked, and Haig accused them of blocking an agreement he already had made with the president. Such a document was approved by the president a year later — but it put Vice President Bush in charge.
One more challenge
As President Bush's term was coming to an end, he asked Baker to run his troubled re-election campaign. Baker said that although his retirement speech from the State Department was one of the hardest things he's ever done, he owed it to Bush to try and help him win another term.
"When the president asks you to do something, you do it," he said. "But it was more than that. He was more than that. He was my friend."
Still, managing a friend's campaign is thorny business.
"Being a campaign manager for a friend is tough. It's tough," he said. "You always have families who have their own ideas about what ought to be happening."
Said his wife, Susan Baker, "It says an awful lot about George Bush and my man that they survived intact."
For his part, Bush says the two men are lifelong friends whose special relationship weathered highs and lows but endured.
"Over the years, there have been stories of a Bush-Baker rivalry," he said. "Those were nonsense stories. ... We remain good friends because I respect his service to our country, and I just enjoy being with him and Susan. He is almost a brother to me. We are close. Very close family friends. He cares about my family. I care about his."
Baker says unequivocally that without his old friend, he would not have been as successful.
"I tell you one thing with certainty, that I would never have done what I did in public service and politics without him," said Baker, who calls his former tennis partner "jefe," which means "chief" in Spanish.
After Bush's re-election defeat, Baker returned to Houston, accepting a job with Baker Botts, where the nepotism policy was no longer a problem. Then-managing partner Bill Barnett recalls how Baker warned that his name would be worth much less in two or three years.
"He wanted to make sure we understood that," Barnett said.
But that never really happened. Baker helped form the James A. Baker III Institute for Public Policy at Rice University and re-entered the national arena when he flew to Florida and helped George W. Bush secure victory there after the contentious 2000 election.
Last year, he agreed to head a panel reviewing the safety culture at troubled oil giant British Petroleum, and most notably, to co-chair the Iraq Study Group and take a fresh look at the nation's war plan.
Baker insists he agreed to help because the current president asked — not as a favor to his father. "It was 43 who asked me to do this, not 41," he said.
Slowing down
Longtime friends and aides say the Baker of today is mellower than he was while at the height of his political career.
"All of us who worked closely with him have noticed how at peace, relaxed and happy he is," Tutwiler said.
Baker agrees.
"Life is so good now," he said. "My schedule is my own."
And he fills that schedule with hunting, fishing and golfing — often with his wife and other family members by his side.
"I was not as good a father as my father," he said. "I was so busy trying to make it in a competitive atmosphere."
His family got bigger a couple of years ago, when Baker discovered a whole new branch of the Baker family tree — an African-American branch, living in Huntsville.
Baker was in that town just north of Houston for the dedication of his great-grandfather's grave when a man walked up to him and identified himself as James Baker, his cousin.
"Boy, was I surprised," he said.
Although he later had the lineage researched, Baker took the man's word for it, and even introduced him and others in his family as long-lost relatives at several public appearances he made that day.
"He was such a gracious person," said Wendell Baker, 84, the former secretary's third cousin. They later met again at a family reunion, and are planning to do so again this summer.
Baker's wife says she has watched her husband's faith grow deeper and broader over the past several years, as has his acceptance of life's curveballs.
"He has learned to take life as it comes," she said. "
But while her husband has what she calls "a great capacity for relaxing," Baker said he would go "stir-crazy" if he retired.
For now, though, all eyes are on him and the report he and others will deliver to the president next week.
Baker insists the main goal is simply to reach a consensus.
"The one thing we can do is present a report that will represent a unified approach on the part of both Democrats and Republicans — a bipartisan approach to the problems in Iraq," he said.

Back