Hiroshima debate? - Page 13

--

August 13th, 2005  
ill be damed if i know

There no doubt no nukes are awful things and hopefullywill never be used again however I believe it had to be done to save live because an invasion would of resulted in even heavier casulties and also it also acts as a deterent.
August 14th, 2005  
JumpingFrog

Agree. But I'm still of the opinion that two nuked cities werent enough. They should also have bombed 4 other Japanese cities then.
August 14th, 2005  
Shadowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpingFrog
Agree. But I'm still of the opinion that two nuked cities werent enough. They should also have bombed 4 other Japanese cities then.
2 cities was enough though as shown by the japanese surrender. I can see that bombing more cities would punish the japanese more for the crimes that were commited but you have to draw the line somewhere at what you do for revenge.
--
August 14th, 2005  
JumpingFrog

Just one of the many Jap atrocities that justify Hiroshima and Nagasaki as 'you earned payback':

http://news.inq7.net/top/index.php?i...story_id=46870

Quote:
"The destruction of Manila was one of the greatest tragedies of World War II. Of all the allied capitals only Warsaw suffered more," wrote American historian William Manchester.

Benito Legarda, who was 18-years-old at the time, said the Japanese forces occupying the city since January 2, 1942 went out of their way to make life unlivable once they realized the US military was advancing to recapture the city.

"They dynamited bridges, destroyed utilities and murdered civilians... There was no excuse for what took place in Manila in those 28 days... none at all."

Tales of men, women and children being rounded up and shot, mutilated, raped, decapitated or bayoneted by Japanese troops paint the period as one of the darker episodes in the closing chapter of World War II.
August 14th, 2005  
Locke

too many of you guys see war and what happens during it as a way of revenge, which isn't right.
war should be about fighting to correct a situation, to free or help some people who are being persecuted or abused. in order to do this, the persecutors will no doubt suffer many losses, but they she be done for a tactical/military advantage, not just because the persecutors acted abhorrently and they should be punished for it. by losing the war, they will be sufficiently punished
August 14th, 2005  
LeEnfield

War is not about about revenge it is all about winning. There where no mass revenge attacks once the peace had been signed, unlike the Japanese when a city or a country surrendered to them. When Hong Kong Surrendered it was declared an open city for five days by the Japanese and there troops could and loot, rob and rape for five days and any one that objected could be killed instantly. Now did that happen to the Japanese in return, No it didn't on whole the Japanese were treated very well by the Americans.
August 15th, 2005  
Kilgore

Well don't forget that the nation of japan was bombed to death by B-29 bombers. I remember seeing a documentary where bombers have used napalm on tokyo and it wiped out about 2/5 of the city, killing over 100,000 people. It wasn't as much as what Germany took in WW2 though.

What angers me the most is how the Japanese make publicity about the a-bombings, yet they would not recognise the genocide they have done.
August 15th, 2005  
Strongbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore
Well don't forget that the nation of japan was bombed to death by B-29 bombers. I remember seeing a documentary where bombers have used napalm on tokyo and it wiped out about 2/5 of the city, killing over 100,000 people. It wasn't as much as what Germany took in WW2 though.

What angers me the most is how the Japanese make publicity about the a-bombings, yet they would not recognise the genocide they have done.
A very good point.
August 15th, 2005  
Rich

I can't remember the source, or if its accurate but I remember hearing that the US only had the two A-bombs (Little Boy & Fat Man) ready to go for August 1945. Can anyone confirm that? I know they had the plutonium but not sure about how soon they could produce the next one (which thankfully wasn't needed!!)
August 15th, 2005  
Corocotta

Quote:
Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi offered an apology Monday for Japan's wartime military aggression and vowed the country would never wage war again, instead striving to maintain the path of a peace-cherishing nation

http://japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=1&id=346291[/code]