Hints at English Parliament

The Scots and Welsh are complaining about a lack of spending in their areas, if that is true then it probably means they are suffering from a lack of representation in Parliament. But is the system really unfair or is this political shinanagans in order to grab power?

The reason I ask, is because this reminds me of a nasty thing that happened in the US 2 years ago. A texas politician named Tom Delay (a really nasty fellow) pulled a nasty trick on the electorate by redefining district boundries within Texas. In other words he redrew district lines so that texas democrats would lose seats in that state legislature while Republicans either gained seats or increased the size of Republican controlled areas. Tom Delay justified his actions as being -unfair representation.

Last edited:
Hi MM. Well, for some time the boot has been moving onto the other foot. At present, the opposite to your suggestion is true. The complaint is that Scotland is far too over-represented in our Parliament on English issues. Also, David Cameron has already swept all opposition to his party aside with a huge majority in the national local elections and the only by-election, which was a very sound long term labour safe seat and was completely taken out. The popular vote for his party is some 44% -23% ahead.
These results reflected in a general election would translate into a devastating and overwhelming majority of some 300 seats for Cameron, I understand. Furthermore, Cameron's Boris Johnson has won the vote for London Mayor .

Cameron is now being asked questions regarding his policies ahead of the election pencilled in for 2 years time. So this is one of his considerations, put forward. But he will not be searching for popular spin glory, in my opinion, because he must know that when he takes over power at the next election he will be inheriting a poisoned chalice that will test his resources to the full. He has already warned of a rough ride ahead, which I feel does him credit at this stage; avoiding false promises.

Firstly, I believe that the spending per head on the population is much higher in Scotland than in England, and I suspect the situation is the same in Wales.

We have a situation where Scotland has its own Parliament, but England is run for the most part by Scottish politicians at high level (Cabinet etc.) of the British parliament and government.

Furthermore, all the Scots Members of Parliament take part in pushing through legislation, much of it unpopular, but which is not imposed in Scotland because they have their own Parliament. Things which they have effected by their votes are provided free in Scotland but not in England etc.etc.

In the past, Scotland and Wales have been instrumental in keeping Labour in power over England., by their voting patterns. However, Labour has now lost its grip in Scotland where the Scottish Nationalists have seized power, and are heading for independence.

Suddenly, faced with this, the English on the streets have woken up to the status quo, and understand that it is unacceptable. They at long last see themselves as England and not merely Brits, dragging along grumbling neighbours. ( please understand that I say this as all but Scottish myself , with a scots stepfather, 2 scots brothers and a scots sister, scottish grandchildren, my best friend son-in-law Eddie, my own Scottish ex-home and school in Dunbar, Scotland, my volunteered service in the Highland Brigade, my scots army pals in Canada etc.)

The English now feel, it seems to me, that Scotland has been a great partner, but now if they wish to go their own way, then so be it.

At all ceremonial and sporting occasions, for instance, the Scots and Welsh sing there own newly acquired national anthems, while the English , present on the same occasions, are still expected to honour the British national anthem 'God save the Queen'.

The point being that it appears to be time for an English parliament for England, and an official English national anthem , (for me - Land of Hope and Glory ) flag etc. Otherwise we see England as being completely submerged.

David Cameron is not suggesting this, but rather setting up an English legislature within the Houses of parliament at Westminster , so that the many Scots MPs do not vote on purely English issues, just as English MPs now cannot vote on purely Scottish issues.

I am not a David Cameron activist - I will wait and see. But for starters, I have liked what I have heard.

Last edited:
Hey - I wouldn't enjoy the day without my daily mash . I only take the daily mail, among other sheets, because I hate Jeff Powell and sometimes get to tell him so, even if it is the most popular paper in England, and I have to admit, the best read.

And what's wrong with Alzs-do-dah anyway . Are you Alzs-do-dah-phobic? Is this your Alzs...ism? And who told you we were undiagnosed?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/leave-bacon-out-of-it%2c-health-experts-warned-20071031506/

Question-time : "As usual, the Liberals offer a mixture of sound and original ideas. Unfortunately none of the sound ideas is original and none of the original ideas is sound".

- Who said it? :cheers:

BTW - stop listening to that fat plonker Herman Goering and instead just listen to your uncle Del Boy. ( I will allow you to use this as your signature )

Last edited:
Hi Del Boy

It appears that you use a reliable source of information after all, I take it all back!

By the way, it it a quote from the same person who said

"I read a great number of press reports and find comfort in the fact that they are nearly always conflicting"

It would be a shame to take it back - let it stand! Bring on 'the mash' ( which also happened to be the recognised title for the English in my Scots regiment - surviving as a one amonst 1000 Glaswegians had to be a quick learning curve).

The quote was from me!

But Harold McMillan was first, I admit. Remember he warned us 'you.ve never had it so good!' That was the last time I smiled - he-he.

Uncle Dell- Boy. (I'll stop that.):wink:

Back