The Hinge Factor by Erik Durschmied

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
This book is rather unique in that it focuses on how luck, chance and sometimes stupidity played a role in changing the course of history. The book covers several wars or battles and how luck helped shape the outcome of the conflict.
Although it does seem to exagerrate the role of luck, it does really make you think how things would have been had they gone the other way... and how easily it could have happened. However, you should know how the battles went before you read this book. If you are familiar with that conflict, then this book will definately be a good addition to your knowledge.
The author pushes his case a bit too much in the end though. The worst example was probably of the Gulf War. There basically was no hinge factor, but he tried to make the Tech gap the hinge factor. That was a hard sell.
But an interesting book in any case.
I do recommend it.

hmmm i got this one as a present a whlie ago but never read it as it looked like it was a nice idea, but spread a bit thin and unbelievable, i may have to read it now!!!:D

It doesn't go in depth about any of the wars or anything. Just a general overview to remind you what happened, then goes into that little thing that just may have changed everything.
My personal favorite was probably the one from Waterloo and the cavalry which had been given nails to block off the fuse hole in the enemy's cannons. The cavalry made it across to the enemy's cannons... except that none of the guys with the nails made it to the other side.

Back