Hind

Whispering Death

So what's the verdict on the Hind. Was it a good design, was it a bad design?

I know very little about the aircraft beyond its odd shape.

So now that the iron curtain has fallen and westerners have gotten their hands on them, how is history judging the design?

From what I know of them from "enemy forces" doctrine training, they are very big, and not very manouverable, by comparison to say the Apache Longbow or the ARH Tiger. But they are a decent design considering the age, the ability to also carry troops was invaluable. Due to the lack of manouverability though, they often operated as pairs and would approach from different directions.

They also are armed like a flying tank with a much greater amount of ordinance than any western attack helicopter.

I consider the Hind Series of aircraft to be quite good for what it was built to be. The Soviets built a transport/attack helicopter after what the US did in Vietnam with the Huey. The Hind A model was crap. but the Hind-D and Hind-E are quite well built the Hind-E is one fearsome aircraft. I got to see one when I was in Afghanistan. It's not a attack helicopter like our Cobras and Apaches. But the are very good.

In the end, it's a heavily armed troop transport with gunship capabilities.

Very interesting helo. If you read the old 70's Helo Ops Manual you will see that it states that pilots flying the Cobra should not get into it with the Hind face to face, but the try and manuver to it's rear, reason being it's uber-large amount of ordinance.

5.56X45mm said:
In the end, it's a heavily armed troop transport with gunship capabilities.

that be great if thats what it was used for. most of the time the rear compartment is empty

Early Hinds werent all that great. but later on with improvements they became quite the attack helicopter.

The Hind...something that I would NOT want to see in a firing position right in front of me. Whether I'm in an Apache, Cobra or anything, I'd be scared :cen:less just to look at it.

You get used to them... it takes awhile but you get used to them. When I first got to China I used to cringe, physically cringe, every time I saw a friggin MIG overhead. After almost four years I just get chills.

The Hind is a very good aircraft, has a lot of weapons, flying tank etc. It had two roles, troop transport and attack chopper, it filled both roles effectively. It's top speed was 180 MPH so it works for me.

bulldogg said:
You get used to them... it takes awhile but you get used to them. When I first got to China I used to cringe, physically cringe, every time I saw a friggin MIG overhead. After almost four years I just get chills.

I like that, still don't trust the PRC or it's communist government. I know I don't and I have many an opinion on them and what they're up to but i cannot post them here do to the fact that I would get banned for country bashing.

NCdt Steliga said:
The Hind...something that I would NOT want to see in a firing position right in front of me. Whether I'm in an Apache, Cobra or anything, I'd be scared :cen:less just to look at it.

LOL, how about a titanium bathtub.

Hind = 1 of 2 flying tanks that I can think of right off the top of my head. The other is the A-10 Warhog. Both are scary as hell overall.

My only objection to the Hind is that its a pretty big target, so anti-air has an easier time hitting.

Waddling elephant with a sting

godofthunder9010 said:
My only objection to the Hind is that its a pretty big target, so anti-air has an easier time hitting.

My impression is that the Hind is a great big waddling elephant with one hellacious sting. The only way to take one on is to be able to attack them from the rear or to overpower them with a vastly greater amount of firepower. In a head-to-head meeting, the Hind is able to hold it's own with an impressive range of weaponry. Against ground forces, the only major way to counter the Hind was to have an overpowering anti-air weapons array or saturate the airspace around the Hind with shoulder fired anti-air rocketry.

For what it was designed to do, the Hind filled the designers specs very well indeed.

godofthunder9010 said:
Hind = 1 of 2 flying tanks that I can think of right off the top of my head. The other is the A-10 Warhog. Both are scary as hell overall.

I never called the A-10 Thunderbolt II the Warthog. I've always called it the "Devil's Cross".

I am a religous person when it came to my time in Afghanistan. I found God pretty quick while being in a foxhole. And the A-10 does seem like tha Russian Orthadox Cross. But this cross rains death upon the land. Hence my naming it the "Devil's Cross"

I think I like "Devil's Cross" as the A-10's nick better, personally. Always thought "Warthog" was kindof a stupid nickname, but it grows on you over time I guess.

Chief of Bones, I agree 100%. And it has to be as big as it is to fill the multi-roll function of troop transport.

Back