Hind

One of the guys I work with was an Blackhawk driver for almost forever. He told that after the whole Communist collapse thing, that he had the opportunity to spend a couple of days with some Hind Drivers. He came away with two lasting impressions. That he was glad he had never had to face one, and that he never had to fly one. Though it carries an impressive weapon load, it apparently is a brutal and hard aircraft to fly.

Maybe an urban legend, but during the Russian War in Afganistan, stories would float out about Hinds Taking RPG hits, and instead of falling from the sky, the Hind would finish whatever it was doing, and then turn around and obliterate the area of the RPG launch. Take or leave this one.

Considering Cobras and Blackhawks are proving to be pretty fragile in combat, maybe the US should start thinking about some sort of Upgraded Hind.

I DON'T think i'll like at the recieving end of this beast.From what i've read about it,it's a flying tank,or better still,a flying artillery platform.And it packs quite a large amount of weapons.Down here,it's beign used to strike hideouts of oil-bunkerers and pirates within the swamps.
But i have a question.Does the Hind use some sort of hush-kit,'cos the ones i've seen are a bit quiet?

Forrest_Gump said:
One of the guys I work with was an Blackhawk driver for almost forever. He told that after the whole Communist collapse thing, that he had the opportunity to spend a couple of days with some Hind Drivers. He came away with two lasting impressions. That he was glad he had never had to face one, and that he never had to fly one. Though it carries an impressive weapon load, it apparently is a brutal and hard aircraft to fly.

Maybe an urban legend, but during the Russian War in Afganistan, stories would float out about Hinds Taking RPG hits, and instead of falling from the sky, the Hind would finish whatever it was doing, and then turn around and obliterate the area of the RPG launch. Take or leave this one.

Considering Cobras and Blackhawks are proving to be pretty fragile in combat, maybe the US should start thinking about some sort of Upgraded Hind.

While the AH-1D is some what fragile, it will take a licking and keep on ticking, Plus the Cobra is being fased out with the AH-64 being the domiant Attack helo. The UH-60 is a great troop transport platform.

Cadet Seaman, you are correct about the Cobra. As far as I know, the only branch that still uses them is the USMC.

The UH-60, while a great slick, has proven to be to fragile to even be considered for upgrading to a gunship configuration like the Huey was.

AH-64. 28 out of 33 downed in one mission by small arms fire. Great tank killer, poor CAS bird.

What we are forgetting is that the UH-60 was originally a troop and cargo that whats thrusted into a gunship roll. I think the Penatgon thought they could pull off another Huey.

I think the AH-64 is more of an assault helo than a CAS helo.

I think the A-10 takes up most of the CAS field, turns on a dime, big-*** 30mm, massive payload, takes a huge whomping and keeps on stomping.

So ... if your in a fight between a Hind and an A-10, and you get to choose which one, which one would you pick? I'd imagine most would prefer the A-10.

On the other hand, there aren't many troop transport heli's that can boast the Hind's reputation for being so very hard to kill. A-10 ain't a troop transport.

For every job there is the correct tool. You can use a screwdriver to drive a nail but the hammer is best suited for the job. Likewise with military equipment and machines. If they were interchangable and omnipotent on the battlefield we wouldn't have so many different designs with so many specs performing the myriad of tasks required. Specialization enhances efficiency and to choose which hunk of flying death you would want to operate or have to engage would be most definitely decided upon by the circumstances of the mission and environment for starters.

godofthunder9010 said:
So ... if your in a fight between a Hind and an A-10, and you get to choose which one, which one would you pick? I'd imagine most would prefer the A-10.

On the other hand, there aren't many troop transport heli's that can boast the Hind's reputation for being so very hard to kill. A-10 ain't a troop transport.

True but why have a boat that acts as a table?

Back