Higher Minimum Wage = Less jobs for unskilled labor

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Found this article by a columnist on Reuters.com. Very interesting read and how bleeding heart, well intentioned moves can destroy lives.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-deba...lose-jobs-due-to-higher-federal-minimum-wage/

– Diana Furchtgott-Roth, former chief economist at the U.S. Department of Labor, is a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute. The views expressed are her own. — As President Obama considers whether to fulfill his campaign promise to raise the minimum wage from $7.25 to $9.50 per hour by 2011, there’s no better illustration of the consequences of well-intentioned policy-making than recent events in American Samoa, a United States territory in the South Pacific that falls within the purview of Congress.
Chicken of the Sea, the tuna company, announced this month that it will close its canning plant in American Samoa in September. The culprit is 2007 legislation in Washington that gradually increased the islands’ minimum wage until it reaches $7.25 an hour in July 2009, almost double the 2007 levels.
In 2007, the hourly minimum wage in American Samoa for fish canning and processing was $3.76 and the minimum wage for government employees was $3.41. Shipping had the highest minimum wage, at $4.59. Garment manufacturers got the lowest, at $3.18 an hour. A $7.25 wage is a substantial increase for most residents.
Chicken of the Sea will lay off 2,041 employees—12 percent of total employment, almost half of all cannery workers. And the 2,700 workers at StarKist, the other American Samoa tuna canning company and Chicken of the Sea’s rival, are probably concerned that their jobs are the next to go.
American Samoa’s loss is Georgia’s gain. Chicken of the Sea will move to Lyons, Georgia, (2007 population 4,480) employing 200 people in a new $20 million plant on a more capital-intensive production line.
In January 2007 the legislation originally did not include American Samoa, perhaps because Del Monte, at the time the parent company of StarKist, was headquartered in Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s district.
Until then, the Labor Department had set wage rates in American Samoa every two years, following an extensive study on economic conditions on the island. But before final passage, Congress included American Samoa.
Back in 2007 American Samoa Governor Togiola Tulafono worried that increasing the minimum wage “would kill the economy” and Congressional Samoan Delegate Eni F.H. Faleomavaega forecast that it would devastate the local tuna industry.
They knew that industries would go elsewhere if they have to pay $7.25 an hour.
They were right. American Samoa will lose not only the 2,041 jobs at the Chicken of the Sea canning plant, but also secondary jobs from the ripple effect of loss of income—stores and eateries that cater to cannery workers, shops that mend fishing nets, shipyards, and buses that transport workers.
In a telephone conversation this week, Representative Vaito’a Hans A. Langkilde of the Ma’oputasi District #10, representing the villages of Leloaloa, Satala and Atu’u, described the prospective devastation of the community. His district is home to both StarKist and Chicken of the Sea.
Mr. Lankilde told me, “Over the past 50 years the industry provided massive job opportunities for unskilled labor. The 2007 law that increased the minimum wage was the beginning of the end for the tuna industry and the cause of massive job losses for our already fragile economy. The only way to resolve the trend towards total economic disaster is for Congress at its soonest opportunity to reverse its position.”
With the recent laying of fiber-optic cable linking American Samoa to the United States, Samoans could get jobs in call centers. Yet the higher minimum wage could discourage firms.
Raising the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour would drive even more jobs away from American Samoa. In the United States it would have the effect of shifting jobs from low-skill to high-skill workers, raising unemployment among those who are least equipped to handle it.
Rather than having to accept direction from a government thousands of miles away where they have no voting representation, residents of American Samoa should be given the power to decide on their own minimum wage. Congress should leave further minimum wage increases to individual states to choose as they see fit, because wage levels and the cost of living vary substantially between states such as Mississippi and New York.
The closure of the Chicken of the Sea cannery in American Samoa shows us that higher minimum wages cause low-skill workers to lose jobs. What’s true for American Samoa holds equally true for the United States.

Well, this seems like a pretty bleak situation. The companies shouldn't be able to just shuffle off to Taiwan or China or whatever like that. However I support the minimum wage hike. These companies can beyond make a profit, even at $9.50 an hour.

Well, this seems like a pretty bleak situation. The companies shouldn't be able to just shuffle off to Taiwan or China or whatever like that. However I support the minimum wage hike. These companies can beyond make a profit, even at $9.50 an hour.

This really is a regional issue better addressed at the state regional level. The impact in California would probably be minimal as the minimum wage is already $8.25. Most states the cost of living is not as high and they should determine the minimum wage for their areas. Setting wages is not a area the Federal government should be involved with.

"The companies shouldn't be able to just shuffle off to Taiwan or China or whatever like that."
Why not? Is this a country that uses free enterprise or is it a police state?

"These companies can beyond make a profit, even at $9.50 an hour."
Enlighten us with their profit margin.
How much are you willing to pay for a can of tuna?

More than just expensive. Tuna cans used to be 6 ounce. Now they're 5 ounce, and for the same price as a 6 ounce. For me the ounces really don't matter much. What does matter is with a 6 ounce can I get 2-1/2 tuna fish sandwiches. With a 5 ounce I only get 2. So when I fix a big load of sandwiches for a one of my projects, I used 10-6 ounce cans. Now that's 12-5 ounce cans. I have a problem with that.

Because if they put out a 7 ounce can for the price of a 6 ounce, they'll make a big news event out of it for their advertising. But instead they knock it from 6 ounce to 5 ounce and no one said a thing, and to me that's borderline on illegal. People think they're getting what they used to get, but no, they're actually paying the same price for less tuna.

Typically I get the Bumble Bee Tuna for $0.99. That comes to $0.165 per ounce. Now it's $0.198 per ounce. That may not seem like much, but I'd rather pay $1.18 for a 6 ounce can than $0.99 for a 5 ounce can. Because it's a matter of honesty.

If the 6 ounce goes up to $1.20 per can (being generous), you see it clearly. But you don't see it clearly when they drop the can size from 6 ounce to 5 ounce and keep the same price. See what I mean?

I contacted Bumble Bee, aka ConAgra Foos, and demanded an answer.

Personally ... I believe this entire article is a bunch of hooey ... it's about Samoa NOT the United States continental area (plus Alaska and Hawaii).

IT'S A CASE OF APPLES AND ORANGES.

I think that's what the author wrote. These things should be dealt with on a regional basis, not as a whole because what applies in one area doesn't apply in another, especially in a very large country that has a lot of people.

The tuna canners are making money out the yahoo, and the people working for them are getting shafted.
Could we see some statistics with sources to support this contention?

Current wages, tuna canners profit/loss statement?

You know that profit/loss statements are all fabrications. The ones released to the government and public are anyway.

And so as Chukpike is implying, because the tuna canneries are strapped for cash, it's ok for their deceitful business practices.

Hey, I'm strapped for cash, can I rob a bank?

The workers at the factories can probably still do alright with that wage.
It's like that in many of the poorer countries. If you raise the wage, they'll be priced out of the market and in the end they won't have any jobs at all. Better to be paid less yet actually have a job. It's a complicated matter and there's always a fine line but seriously, the minimum wage just simply cannot be the same everywhere. It's impossible. Obviously what you want to avoid is a sort of wage that's so low that people can barely stay alive (i.e., we'll give you a uniform, feed you and throw you under a communal barracks... wait a minute...!!).

And so as Chukpike is implying, because the tuna canneries are strapped for cash, it's OK for their deceitful business practices.

Hey, I'm strapped for cash, can I rob a bank?

First, I did not imply or say anything about tuna companies business practices. I ask you to support your statement:

"The tuna canners are making money out the yahoo, and the people working for them are getting shafted."Hmmm

My question:
"Could we see some statistics with sources to support this contention?"

This topic is about the Federal government setting minimum wages.

Higher Wages=Less jobs for unskilled Labor.

So actually, your statement does not even have anything to do with the topic.

I don't know how long you have been around or are you aware many manufacturing companies have moved their plants to foreign countries because of cheaper wages.

You can cry about companies making to much money and not paying their workers enough, but even then the workers are making something. In the American Samoa example these people are not going to be able to complain about their pay, they are not going to have jobs to complain about.

It's just another case of a well intentioned action that was imposed with complete disregard of the grieviances of the actual people involved.
The American Samoan governing bodies warned that such an event would take place.
Bleeding hearts... or ignorance... or both.

Back