High School and the Military

WannabeRanger

Hows everybody doing.I'm 16 and a Jr in high school and I think when I graduate I'm either going to enlist in the Army or the Marines.The thing is I want to be on the front line and also use my brains. I get very good grades in school and I value an education.But my question is does a high school education really matter that much if I'm going to enlist. And is there any way school can help me out on the field of battle.If you have any real answer to this I would appreciate you sharing it with me.

-"No li me tangere"
-"Do not touch me"

If you want to challenge yourself intellectually then why not try to apply for a service academy, or ROTC? After you get your commision, you can sign up for a number of combat fields.

hey, im a 15 year year old ssophmore, this might not help, but, i think you should do ROTC, get an education in college or go to USMA or the USNA, im mean cause your smart, why put it to waste right! I think officers get paid twice as much too. :cheers:

often times enlisting is the smartest thing to do, that way your college is paid for, and I assume(hope) it looks better if you are going for an officer position. (sorry about going off topic)

[quotewebs]isn't ROTC a Scholorship program?[/quote]

Yes it is, i had a friend who earned a scholarship in their, he graduated Valedictorian from my school, he had a full scholarship to San Diego University, after he got a 4-year degree he was joining the Air Force as a 2nd Lt., great man he was, he was a member of numeroues anti-drug organizations and in his free time he would go down to those drug rehab places and help those recoverying from addiction, he was even talking to the Nevada state council about passing new drug laws, unfortunately he got into a car accident and died over the summer, he was supposed to go to college the week after he died, that truly sucks.

so if you get a scholarship, don't get hit by a drunk driver because they don't give a damn about who they run off the road.

Number one you have to have a diploma to enlist. And there are plenty of MOS's in combat arms that are mentally challenging. Just cause a Marine has an 03 designator does not mean he drools and can't count. Same with the Army 11b and 11m MOS's.
I suggest you look into fire support.

Hey, just my opinion, but I just got out of high school this year, and joined recently (Army). I turned 19 in August, and I see guys signing for the army while they're in High School. They do the DEP (Delayed Entry Program), and don't leave until they are done with HS or college. That way they get extra training, and what not.

Also, if you're thinking of going into College first... Why not have the army (or whatever branch) pay for it? I know the army has some really good benefits, but hey, why pay if you can get $ from doing something you already think you're gonna do?

Now, as for how you should go into the military... I think enlisting is the best way... I give respect to anyone, no matter what, but I can also understand how some people wouldn't want to respect someone who was a higher rank just because they went to college.

Also, you can always change your MOS.

I was sitting in the office two weeks ago in a conversation with a couple buddies. There was a Major, a LTC, and a COL in the conversation.

We all agreed that if we had it all to do over again, we would SERIOUSLY consider the Coast Guard Academy. in addition, I would also recommend you look in to the Merchant Marine Academy. These academies provide outstanding education, and service as officers in fields where you are doing your operational mission every day.

Research research research...

Merchant Marines, I've heard of that before. It has something do with the Corps, right? Its not something else I'm thinking of is it?
Thanks,
Lamm

The merchant marine academy is a federal service academy that gives you the required licensure to become a ships officer on an american flagged vessel. They can also join the Navy Reserve.

I myself am also a Jr. and 16 and in High School. I got to the DEP function at the local recruiters. Its great. We learn about Land Nav, Marching, First Aid, Time, Phonetic Alphabet, General Orders, and Ranks. Before the kids in DEP ship out, they take a test over all of these things and upon a successful completion they get promoted. Also its a fun way to learn about the military and different MOS possibilities. We also run and do a little PT which is good for the body anyway. Since I am only 16 I still have a few months before officially signing a contract but I still go to the recruiters because a couple of my buddies signed their contracts and it is a way for me to get prepared for what I'm going to do. Oh, and by the way take the ASVAB either at the recruiters or talk to the guidance counselor. Hope this helps.

11x RIP said:
Hey, just my opinion, but I just got out of high school this year, and joined recently (Army). I turned 19 in August, and I see guys signing for the army while they're in High School. They do the DEP (Delayed Entry Program), and don't leave until they are done with HS or college. That way they get extra training, and what not.

Also, if you're thinking of going into College first... Why not have the army (or whatever branch) pay for it? I know the army has some really good benefits, but hey, why pay if you can get $ from doing something you already think you're gonna do?

Now, as for how you should go into the military... I think enlisting is the best way... I give respect to anyone, no matter what, but I can also understand how some people wouldn't want to respect someone who was a higher rank just because they went to college.

Also, you can always change your MOS.

i know this is off subject so i'm really sorry, but i had a question about something you said. when you mentioned that you could see why some ppl wouldnt want to respect a higher rank just bc of college...is that really a general feeling for most of those who enlist? i was just wondering bc thats what i was planning on doing...going to college then being an officer in the USAF

Funny, you should mention that, Chemo66. I've had that same conversation with a similar group of people.

mandi said:
i know this is off subject so i'm really sorry, but i had a question about something you said. when you mentioned that you could see why some ppl wouldnt want to respect a higher rank just bc of college...is that really a general feeling for most of those who enlist? i was just wondering bc thats what i was planning on doing...going to college then being an officer in the USAF

No, that is not the general feeling. If you are a good leader, good soldier, and good officer .. that fact that you have no enlisted time is not going to have any bearing whatsoever on the amount of respect you'll receive. You'll have to earn respect just as a prior enlisted officer would. Some of the best officers never had enlisted time. Do what fits you best, don't worry about what roads others have taken.

Back