--
High Oil Prices & Tyranny

May 4th, 2006  
phoenix80

Topic: High Oil Prices & Tyranny

click to enlarge

Today's high oil prices have direct impact on how oil rich tyrannies like the Iranian regime is acting.

7 years ago, when the oil prices were about US $ 20 per barrel, the regime was talking about friendship and dialogue with the rest of the world and now that the oil is pushing $72/barrel the very same regime is speaking about wiping off another country and creating tension all over the place.

The First Law of Petropolitics
  • " Iran’s president denies the Holocaust, Hugo Chávez tells Western leaders to go to hell, and Vladimir Putin is cracking the whip. Why? They know that the price of oil and the pace of freedom always move in opposite directions. It’s the First Law of Petropolitics, and it may be the axiom to explain our age. "
By Thomas L. Friedman

The higher the oil prices go, the wilder "the oil-rich despotic countries" get!

Shut off their ability to export oil and they are gone in days!

Simple, huh? Not!
May 4th, 2006  
bulldogg

Bah, this is human nature. Show me a rich man who is humble and I will show you the world's greatest actor. When you are poor you are humble and cooperative when you are rich you're a bastard. Nothing new.
May 4th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogg
Bah, this is human nature. Show me a rich man who is humble and I will show you the world's greatest actor. When you are poor you are humble and cooperative when you are rich you're a bastard. Nothing new.
And this is my point

And unfortunately these oil rich countries threaten the world security
--
May 4th, 2006  
bulldogg

Only because we have empowered them through our lazy reliance on their oil rather than developing new technology for our vehicles or for extracting oil from shale. Why is it with all our advances of the last hundred years the internal combustion engine is untouched?
May 4th, 2006  
phoenix80

Quote:
Only because we have empowered them through our lazy reliance on their oil rather than developing new technology for our vehicles or for extracting oil from shale. Why is it with all our advances of the last hundred years the internal combustion engine is untouched?
It will have to change soon
May 4th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Amen to that, brotha!!
May 4th, 2006  
mmarsh

Ditto; but I think we are at least 20 years away. Thats when its estimated that Hydrogen Fuel cells become economically sound.
May 4th, 2006  
yingying

Quote:
As far as I know America is the most richest country in the world.
May 4th, 2006  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Don't knock the rich, when did a poor person give you a job.

Not to defend bastards with a lot of money, I am going to have to disagree with BD on this little rant. Money is neutral until humans get their grubby little hands on it. Money can be used for good as well as bad. Here is my case. There are poor people who are complete jerks as well as poor people that are compationate, and there are rich people who are complete jerks as well as rich people who are compationate. Money just allows us to see a person's character a bit easier than a person without it.
May 4th, 2006  
bulldogg

Food for thought... *pondering*...