Hi there!

I think it was two cycles ago the last time I rode the bus with them to post. Well anyways get to post, everyone gets off the bus, except this one scrawny looking 18 year old in the back of the bus. He absolutely refused to budge from that seat. So he had three male Drill Sergeants in his face yelling at him to get off the bus. After a few minutes one of our female Drill Sergeants comes on the bus and goes "Boys just let the professional handle it." So we move out of her way and she squats in front of the kid and tells him that she's going to do something that no man would do. She says she's going to grab him by the balls, drag him off the bus, and then they were going to run 5 miles with his balls in her hands. She was so calm about it, I think it scarred the daylights out of him because he got off that bus in a hurry!

Has the service changed. There were no female drill instructors in the 70's. And all running had to be done in your combat boots which created issues for some of the guys. I thought that was very progressive to allow the troops to run in sneakers during training. Showing how old I am. We were basically indoctrinated that the communist were the enemy. Which at that time was the general consensus in the military - government. I don't know if this would be politically correct in this day and age.
I will say that was the last time I ran a 6 minute mile, they got me in shape. Did great with the M16, but never did get the hang of loping those hand grenades.
Welcome aboard Sargent.

Last edited:
I thought drills were supposed to look out for their battles? I suppose they were just laughing in the day room...

When I was an AIT instructor giggling recruits must mean they have too much time on their hands and that is unacceptable. Usually some vigorous physical exercise or vigorous cleaning of something was in order in that situation.

Oh yeah. That was when I first completed DI school. Gotta break in the new guy.

Has the service changed. There were no female drill instructors in the 70's. And all running had to be done in your combat boots which created issues for some of the guys. I thought that was very progressive to allow the troops to run in sneakers during training. Showing how old I am. We were basically indoctrinated that the communist were the enemy. Which at that time was the general consensus in the military - government. I don't know if this would be politically correct in this day and age.
I will say that was the last time I ran a 6 minute mile, they got me in shape. Did great with the M16, but never did get the hang of loping those hand grenades.
Welcome aboard Sargent.

Yeah, it's definitely changed. My SFC is a female, which is not an issue, I don't have any problems with her. To be frank as far as I'm concerned, Army Digital Camo looks great on anyone ;). Now-a-days it's not communists, it's terrorists. When I first enlisted it was just a couple years after 9/11, and New Yorkers were still pissed off. I had the luck to get a Drill Sergeant from New York and let me tell you...you tripped, stumbled, screwed up, it was "God damm--, those mother f----- terrorists are going to eat you alive! I'm from New York, and by God if you don't get up and fight for my state, I'm gonna put my boot up your a--!"

And now-a-days they don't like us to be overly vulgar towards recruits - probably because of female recruits. I mean we still swear but I know back in the day it was A LOT worse. During PT recruits wear tennis/running shoes, but they have to buy them from the PX once they get here. They're not allowed to wear any running shoes that they brought from home.

welcome to the mad house, as a former Royal Military Police NCO, drill sergeants didn't bother me, if they started shouting at me, a quick, "don't confuse your rank with my authority" normally took the wind out of their sails. :lol: ;)

Oh yeah. That was when I first completed DI school. Gotta break in the new guy.

Yeah, it's definitely changed. My SFC is a female, which is not an issue, I don't have any problems with her. To be frank as far as I'm concerned, Army Digital Camo looks great on anyone ;). Now-a-days it's not communists, it's terrorists. When I first enlisted it was just a couple years after 9/11, and New Yorkers were still pissed off. I had the luck to get a Drill Sergeant from New York and let me tell you...you tripped, stumbled, screwed up, it was "God damm--, those mother f----- terrorists are going to eat you alive! I'm from New York, and by God if you don't get up and fight for my state, I'm gonna put my boot up your a--!"

And now-a-days they don't like us to be overly vulgar towards recruits - probably because of female recruits. I mean we still swear but I know back in the day it was A LOT worse. During PT recruits wear tennis/running shoes, but they have to buy them from the PX once they get here. They're not allowed to wear any running shoes that they brought from home.

Yeah...it's changed quite a lot. We have many cadets in the ROTC program that I teach at that come straight off the trail and they tell me how much it has changed...We will see how it works out...Too PC if you ask me...I imagine SHARP is a major concern for the IET/DS relationship...

Also, how the hell did you get shot three times as an engineer?

welcome to the mad house, as a former Royal Military Police NCO, drill sergeants didn't bother me, if they started shouting at me, a quick, "don't confuse your rank with my authority" normally took the wind out of their sails. :lol: ;)

I have no issue with MPs, they're trying to do a job just like me. I find that with a lot of former military, a lot of the times seeing the Drill Sergeant - I think it's the hat - it inspires them to remember basic training ;)

Yeah...it's changed quite a lot. We have many cadets in the ROTC program that I teach at that come straight off the trail and they tell me how much it has changed...We will see how it works out...Too PC if you ask me...I imagine SHARP is a major concern for the IET/DS relationship...

Also, how the hell did you get shot three times as an engineer?

Uh...stupidity? The first one was a ricochet and only grazed my leg. I didn't even realize it until a few minutes later when a Sergeant was grabbing me telling me there was blood on my ACUs. Go figure. The second time was friendly fire...had a weapon malfunction and some dumba-- holding it like an idiot. And the third time was probably intended to kill me as it went in through the top of my shoulder, hit my collar bone, and spun downwards a little.

My Red Cap had the same effect!:lol:

Well for anyone in the US Army or Marines, the campaign hat (sometimes call a smokey bear) is very distinctive to the Drill Sergeants, we're the only ones that wear them. We still have berets, patrol caps, and helmets of course. We just have the additional campaign hat as well. Unless we're going to a live fire range, we usually wear just our campaign hats for headgear. :drill:

Oops I forgot the USAF as well.

I have no issue with MPs, they're trying to do a job just like me. I find that with a lot of former military, a lot of the times seeing the Drill Sergeant - I think it's the hat - it inspires them to remember basic training ;)

Uh...stupidity? The first one was a ricochet and only grazed my leg. I didn't even realize it until a few minutes later when a Sergeant was grabbing me telling me there was blood on my ACUs. Go figure. The second time was friendly fire...had a weapon malfunction and some dumba-- holding it like an idiot. And the third time was probably intended to kill me as it went in through the top of my shoulder, hit my collar bone, and spun downwards a little.

LOL, well that's about right...

Friendly fire?...did it take you to lunch or something? ;P

The Purple Heart medal simply means you were smart enough to come up with a plan, dumb enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive! Don't worry, I too have an enemy marksmanship badge...except I seemed to be a magnet for RPG's much to the annoyance of my platoon mates.

Last edited:
Thanks for some old times

I thought drills were supposed to look out for their battles? I suppose they were just laughing in the day room...

When I was an AIT instructor giggling recruits must mean they have too much time on their hands and that is unacceptable. Usually some vigorous physical exercise or vigorous cleaning of something was in order in that situation.

Brinktk Your cracking me up, although at the time it wasn't funny at all! I can remember being on the receiving end of that to much time in AIT. Yes plenty of polishing and mopping (BTW the floors weren't always in need of of all this buffing, etc.) just for good measure. Or as mentioned Private XX "take off" which meant get running usually a mile or 2 for good measure. Again if you had to much idle time and were not using it to study.

LOL, well that's about right...

Friendly fire?...did it take you to lunch or something? ;P

The Purple Heart medal simply means you were smart enough to come up with a plan, dumb enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive! Don't worry, I too have an enemy marksmanship badge...except I seemed to be a magnet for RPG's much to the annoyance of my platoon mates.

Nah more like you were stupid enough to get in the line of the backFIRE ;)

Brinktk Your cracking me up, although at the time it wasn't funny at all! I can remember being on the receiving end of that to much time in AIT. Yes plenty of polishing and mopping (BTW the floors weren't always in need of of all this buffing, etc.) just for good measure. Or as mentioned Private XX "take off" which meant get running usually a mile or 2 for good measure. Again if you had to much idle time and were not using it to study.

"Free" time? What is this "free" time that you speak of? If you got time to lean, you got time to clean!

Back