Hi!

My name is Lillian. I am a junior in high school and I've been looking into joining the army or navy or marines since I was in 8th Grade. I am on my school's colorguard and if I do say so myself I am quite handy with performing tricks with a rifle but also shooting one. I am i the Co-Ed By Scouts program (have been since I was 14) and I love camping or beig on the sea. My grandfather went to join the military but he was only allowed to be on a patrol here in the US as at the time you couldn't go off to war if you were flat-footed. None-the-less he proudly served his country and if I am able to so will I. I hope to Major in Forensics one day but at the moment it still is debatable. My biggest hero though is Major Charles Whittlesey. He was a Major in WW1 the Major of the 308th Infantry Battalion. He was told be his General, General Robert Alexanderto take his platoon the morning of Oct 3 1918 to efend Charlevaux (nezar the Argonne Forest) and even though he knew it was a suicide mission (and it did end of being one) he fought bravely and lead over 600 soldiers into the forest only to come out on October 7 1918 with less than 200. But because of his words of encouragment and ladership skills he was able to keep fighting even though his troops and he were surrounded by German troops, they were low on ammunition, food, water, and men, and even though they were cannoned by there own side they stayed and fought. When the General came and said that the losses were acceptable he, Major Charles Whittlesey (a former lawyer) said that not only was it unacceptable but it was wrong and when offered a ride back with the General and other officers back to HQ he refused and stayed with his remaining men and when they left to walk to camp he walked along them. Because they stayed and fought this 5-day battle (or suicide mission whichever you wish to call it) we won the Great War as the troops around were able to break through German forces because of this battle. Major Chares Whittlesey is a hero and in 2001 there was a movie made about him - 'The Lost Battalion' - (which is actually a pretty good movie) it was the first time I had heard of him nd immediatly looked around for more information to find if the movie really ws a true story and when I found out it was I was impressed by all the event that happened to those troops in those 5 days that I knew it had to have taken a remarkabl amount of leadership and that was exactly wat Major Whittlesey was - a remarkable leader and an amazing hero.

So yeah I kind of rant sometimes when I get passionate about a topic (ex:Major Whittlesey) and I try to learn about the topic as much as possible. So yeah that's basically me.

Back