Hi - Permission to come aboard sir

ddg2sailor

I realize that many in this forum may be serving military. I should like to make it clear that I am no longer in the military and have never pretended to be currantly serving.

I hope no one finds my choice of handle offensive. In truth I still associate with the navy and my last ship.. DDG2 USS. Charles F. Adams. I also use this for my email and have for years.

I found this site while doing research on:

"Fair winds and a following sea"

Looks like a good place to drop my hook for a bit.

I have a blog but I wont post it here... You can get it from my profile or ask in PM if interested.

I tend to use terms like shipmate or mate , mainly I suppose out of practice. I am largly not political and easy to get along with and like many of you... I sure I have some common memories from when I was a deck sailor. I still think of fore and aft... and people dont have a clue when I tell em to go forward.

I dont have any children but I do have over a dozen nieces and nephews.

Typicaly I would sign with "Sailor" , but in respect for those serving..

Robert

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome!

These is something about a destroyer. Maybe its her lines. DDG2 is still sitting in philly on Museum hold. She looks really bad. Its really not fair to keep the old girl there. Lets hope they make up thier minds soon.

Robert

Not for me I'm afraid, I've grown away from it all. I enjoyed my time immensely but made the conscious decision to get on with the rest of my life and enjoy all the things that being a civilian offers. Not being told what to wear and when, where I can go or when I can have a drink if I want.

I joined the merchant navy and copped a lot of grief until I earned their respect, after that life was really worth living.

I must admit that I did enjoy my time on DDG-26 (HMAS Hobart), as much as one could enjoy themselves in the Navy, without attracting too much attention from higher up. :p I pushed the boundaries fairly well though.

I ran into an ex Divisional officer several years ago and even though we had not seem one another for 30 years, he grimaced and held his hand over his face saying, "God Help me, "Spike is actually in the rig of the day, it must be the first time ever"

The good side of it was that he shouted me out for lunch. :smile:

Welcome. I am at the Naval Academy, and just got back from a month in Norfolk on DDG 84, the Bulkeley. Alot of fun, and I really do love DDGs. My dad actually does a fair amount of work with Bath Iron Works, and I was able to go see DDG 87, the Oscar Austin, get launched, one of the last to be launched from the old ways instead of a dry dock.

Again, welcome aboard sailor, good to have ya.

Thanks for the welcome.

There is something about ddg's. I havent been keeping up on the latest... Is that an ageis destroyer? I would love to see either of those ships. Serving on a tincan isnt always fun and sometimes you dont notice how great it was until your out of the navy.

You called me sailor.. what a great compliment!
Keep in touch shipmate.

Robert

Hi Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Just gotta ask... "Milites Gregarius" , this means im a military talker?

cool at any rate.

Robert

Roman for "New recruit"? I was going to guess latin.

Last edited:
Back