Hi from Dovster

Dovster

Hi. I haven't yet read through many of the profiles but I would imagine that I have a somewhat different background than that of most of the members here. I served in two armies: The US and the Israeli.

I was born in the States and enlisted in 1964. After one term, which included a year in Vietnam, I was discharged as an E-5.

I moved to Israel in 1979, was drafted four years later, and wound up doing basic training here 20 years after I did it at Fort Dix. Because of both my age and my service in the States, I was excused from active duty after finishing basic. However, like all Israelis I remained in the active reserve, doing 30 days a year.

My initial assignment was as a Liaison Officer to the United Nations forces in the region and this carried with it an automatic promotion to First Lieutenant. Later, based on my U.S. experience, I was transferred to a sniper unit.

I served for 15 years in the reserve before getting my final discharge. I still live along the Israeli-Lebanese border so, as I saw for 34 days in the summer of 2006, I can suddenly find myself in the middle of a war zone at any moment.

One of our moderators, Sherman is from Israel. I believe he is serving in the IDF at the moment.

When I said I have a "somewhat different background" I wasn't referring to having been in the Israeli Army, but rather having served in two different armies.

Hi and welcome to the forums Dovster.
I moved your intro and the replies out of the members map thread and created a new one for you.. :smil:

Welcome Dovster. Keep alert that near the Lebanese border, but I'll bet you already know that.

Yup, I sort of got that idea a couple of years ago. :wink:

I am too lazy to repost here my experience during the fighting with Hezbollah but if you are interested you can take a look at this article I wrote under my pen name of "Josh Wilde". http://www.helium.com/tm/747468/explosions-rattled-house-israeli It is an unusual story because it tells about how I became close friends with somebody on the other side.

Also, another article from that same website will give you a good idea of the differences between the Israeli and American armies -- and why each is good for its own country but would be a catastophe in the other. You can see it at http://www.helium.com/tm/872799/imagine-would-united-states

Last edited:
Back