hey I need help guys!

--

April 10th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

Topic: hey I need help guys!

okay, there was a quote that was something about, the sword being mightier than the pen, or that the person that thinks that the pen is mightier than the sword is certainly ..something?
Wonder what the quote is, and who said it.

Well I hope someone here can help me.

thanks
April 10th, 2006  
Missileer

"You use this proverb to say that you can solve problems or achieve your purpose better and more effectively through communication with words than by violence with weapons. Edward George Bulwer Lytton (1803-1873), an English novelist, wrote this for the first time in 1839. He wrote, "Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword."
April 12th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

hmm thanks for that

But there was a quote I think that favoured the sword over the pen.. wonder if anyone knows anything about it..

thanks again
--
April 13th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Im pretty sure it was the other way around. The pen is mightier than the sword...NIMO...
April 13th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Yes Henderson is right.
April 13th, 2006  
tomtom22

Aye, that he is.
April 13th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

I know I know..
Its just that one time during my 18 yrs of living life, I have came across a quote that thought otherwise.. you know? favoured the sword.. and said something about those who believe that the pen is mightier than th sword are mistaken or something... Its basically something like that..
I dont know where I saw it.. what a shame..
I think it was Napoleon? hmm.. I have no clue..

Well nevertheless, I shall not loose hope
April 16th, 2006  
Ted

It's probably one of the quotes where they used an old quote and turned it around. The only problem is that the author of such a quote rarely gets mentioned and it will be hard to find out who dunnit. The good point is that it will be after 1850 probably, figuring that this Lytton didn't start saying wise things before his 43rd year!
April 17th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

hmm, I dont know, but I think it was in the 19th century.. And I recall going across the name.. hmm, strange..

Heh, what did u mean "figuring that this Lytton didn't start saying wise things before his 43rd year" Ted?
April 17th, 2006  
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
The only problem is that the author of such a quote rarely gets mentioned and it will be hard to find out who dunnit. The good point is that it will be after 1850 probably, figuring that this Lytton didn't start saying wise things before his 43rd year!
Okay, here we go. I figure that you'll have to look for somebody who took Lytton's quote and re-wrote it. Then I did some quick wrong math! I should have said before his 47th year. 1803 + 47 = 1850. I took this year as the arbitrary startingpoint for looking for the author. I calculated that for somebody to re-write a quote, the quote needs to be said first and then needs some time to gain fame.

Now that re-read it..... it just looked like fun saying it, but it doesn't make any sense.... Hhmm, I have that a lot!