hey I need help guys!

MightyMacbeth

I am Honor
okay, there was a quote that was something about, the sword being mightier than the pen, or that the person that thinks that the pen is mightier than the sword is certainly ..something?
Wonder what the quote is, and who said it.

Well I hope someone here can help me.

Last edited:
"You use this proverb to say that you can solve problems or achieve your purpose better and more effectively through communication with words than by violence with weapons. Edward George Bulwer Lytton (1803-1873), an English novelist, wrote this for the first time in 1839. He wrote, "Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword."

hmm thanks for that :)

But there was a quote I think that favoured the sword over the pen.. wonder if anyone knows anything about it..

thanks again :)

I know I know..
Its just that one time during my 18 yrs of living life, I have came across a quote that thought otherwise.. you know? favoured the sword.. and said something about those who believe that the pen is mightier than th sword are mistaken or something... Its basically something like that..
I dont know where I saw it.. what a shame..
I think it was Napoleon? hmm.. I have no clue..

Well nevertheless, I shall not loose hope :)

It's probably one of the quotes where they used an old quote and turned it around. The only problem is that the author of such a quote rarely gets mentioned and it will be hard to find out who dunnit. The good point is that it will be after 1850 probably, figuring that this Lytton didn't start saying wise things before his 43rd year!

hmm, I dont know, but I think it was in the 19th century.. And I recall going across the name.. hmm, strange..

Heh, what did u mean "figuring that this Lytton didn't start saying wise things before his 43rd year" Ted? :)

Ted said:
The only problem is that the author of such a quote rarely gets mentioned and it will be hard to find out who dunnit. The good point is that it will be after 1850 probably, figuring that this Lytton didn't start saying wise things before his 43rd year!

Okay, here we go. I figure that you'll have to look for somebody who took Lytton's quote and re-wrote it. Then I did some quick wrong math! I should have said before his 47th year. 1803 + 47 = 1850. I took this year as the arbitrary startingpoint for looking for the author. I calculated that for somebody to re-write a quote, the quote needs to be said first and then needs some time to gain fame.

Now that re-read it..... it just looked like fun saying it, but it doesn't make any sense.... Hhmm, I have that a lot!

I found out that "Giles"... one of the characters of "Buffy the vampire slayer" said the quote you are looking for. I typed it in google, between citation-marks and I got a few hits. He was amongst them..... but I doubt if he's the one you are looking for! :evil:

I think you've all established that Bulwer-Lytton wrote 'The pen is mightier than the sword' in 1839, that it's now a common proverb, and that we're looking for a reversal of that proverb. I would start by taking the history of the original proverb further back.

1st century BC: 'Cedant arma togae (Arms give way to persuasion)' (Cicero).
1571: 'There is no sworde more to bee feared than the Learned pen'.
1582: 'The dashe of a Pen, is more greevous then the counter use of a Launce'.
1586: 'Alexander surnamed Severus, would oftentimes say, that he stoode in more feare of one writer, then of a hundred souldiers, for that the wound of a pen remaineth after death'.
1602: 'Many wearing rapiers are afraid of goose-quills' (Hamlet).
Before 1712: 'Poor Bob...a goosequill on for weapon ty'd, Knowing by use that now and then A sword less hurt does than a pen'.

More information than you wanted, but it shows that Bulwer-Lytton wasn't so original as all that. Now, what's the reversed form that we're looking for? I'll take three guesses:

'Let none presume to tell me that the pen is preferable to the sword' (Motteux' early 18th century translation of Don Quixote).
'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons' (attributed to General MacArthur).
'The man who said the pen was mightier than the sword ought to have tried reading The Mill on the Floss to Motor Mechanics' (Tom Sharpe).

Do any of those look familiar, Mighty M?

I finally found it after all those years:

"Whoever said the pen was mightier than the sword obviously has never encountered automatic weapons."

- General Douglas MacArthur

Back