He's gonna crash, he's gonna crash!!!

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
During an open day, members of the public were allowed onto the station to view aircraft, crash equipment and all manner of other kit.

One of our English Electric Lightning pilots was showing his family the aircraft he flew, saying “We are going up in a minute to do a little display.”

The aircraft took off using reheat and climbed like a Saturn 5, and then did low passes over the airfield. One by one the aircraft landed, then it came to our hero. He overshot, applied power and went around for another go, this time he undershot, applied power and went around again, this time he came in too fast, applied power and went around again. By this time the mother of the pilot was getting highly distraught, screaming “He's going to crash, he's going to crash!” The station commander sidled up to her and was heard to say, “Don't worry madam, we can always shoot him down.”

Reminds me of when I did my aviation field trip to NAS Pensacola when I was still a squid. I took my hop, but forgot to call my mom when I got down -- and then went out for the night. Got back to the BOQ and there were two messages waiting for me -- she was convinced she was going to get the dreaded DOD call: "The Department of Defense regrets to inform you that..."

Oops. :oops:

Back