Hernán Cortes

--

April 24th, 2005  
Corocotta

Topic: Hernán Cortes

I am reading the biography of Hernán Cortes, the spanish militar that conqueor Mexico in the XVI century(1519-1521).
He was an awsome strategic. He just used 450 soldiers and 13 horses to do this, with the colaboration of some tribes.

What do you know about mexico´s conqueor? What is your opinion?
What are the consecuences for you of this epopeya?
April 24th, 2005  
Whispering Death

He has got a bum rap by the ivory tower college intellectuals because they only look at the brutalities he commited and go "omg he is lik sooooooo evil, lik HITLER, omg"

God I hate college.
April 24th, 2005  
Corocotta

He did kill many people, that´s for sure. But the most incredible part of the history is that he used 450 men to conqueor a all country. he used the diferences that existed betewen all the tribes in order to put each of them against the other.
--
April 24th, 2005  
WarMachine

can't forget about the smallpox.
April 24th, 2005  
Corocotta

what is that?
April 24th, 2005  
Rommel

a very deadly disease
April 25th, 2005  
WarMachine

Didn't you see those pics of that one spanish monk that went to the americas and saw all the slavery and destruction done by the spanish to the natives? They're done in a crude kind of drawing style but depict indians with smallpox which wiped out a good portion of their race. Eventually there were more livestock than natives in the americas.
April 25th, 2005  
Corocotta

Yes, I did read many things that "De Las Casas" (thats the name of the monk) wrote.
I never said that the spaniards weren´t mean with the indians many times, they were, and a lot.
As you said many indians died due to the disieses that the spaniard brought with them,they did not have their inmunity sistem used to this virus, bacterias...
The spaniards had a couple of misions there:

-Get new territories for the spanish emperator Carlos V.

-Get gold for the spanish empire.

-Expansion of the true faith, and savind the indians from idolatry.
April 25th, 2005  
Zucchini

It's a virus.

Now it is considered eradicated.
April 25th, 2005  
Corocotta

In spanish its called "Viruela", I didn´t know the name in english.

Some time ago i read this rumor: the muslims went to America before the spaniards, in the IX century, it sounds wiard to me...Have any of you heard about this? Some Muslim historicians are talking a lot about this rigth now. But i just do not belive it...why there are no inscriptions, probes......?