Here we go again, Falklands Style.

The first thing that struck my mind reading the article was "amphibious warfare" in disfavour of Britain. British troops being enganged abroad in various campaigns, it is possible for Argentina to capture the Falklands without any major problems. Ok the Brits have 2000 troops on the islands but how long will they manage to hold their fortifications?

The Brits managed to pull off the former Falklands conflict in their favour both military and logistics wise, but it would be much harder today.

During the 1980s most countries had an enormous force pool in case of the cold war growing hot - take a look on the "Gulf War I" - thanks to the 1980s military politics and fundings by Ronald Reagan and Thatcher it was possible to establish the coalition forces at that strenght at zero time. The cold war had just ended, the US and UK, plus the rest of the NATO countries, had large forces available before the 1990s budget cuttings.

The scenario now is British troops being busy abroad in various campaigns, it will take time for a task force to help the Falklands - Who play the joker if this conflict comes to life? Certainly not Britain at first sight.

As A Former resident of this Island I can say that this news is really not good. I have family and friends out there on that little rock. Most of the islanders, think o fthemselves as Falkland islanders not brits, but I knwo the last thing they want is to be under argentinian rule.

Port stanley (the capital) has a small ammount of local forces. most of the forces are in Mount Pleasent airport. which is a good distance away. The odd's this time are not in our favour, and becuase of our troops being used in Iraq, We have little chance of getting a force up to go there to defend the place in enough time.

we can but hope that like the first falklands war, where we did actually loose first but then regain victory, it can be pulled off again.

But with how bliar is, he'll probably just give up the islands in favour of keeping troups in Iraq so he can please his love master President Bush.

Wing Nut

I would be willing to bet that there's been at least 1 major US/British naval vessel within 1 day's journey of the Falkland Islands since the war. I would not want to send my "2nd generation without combat" troops against the battle hardened, experienced British troops that would be on the islands within hours of a new conflict. Even the most agressive hardliner has to realize that.

The Argentine Goverments tend to start sword rattling when their in trouble. Hoping to ride a wave of Patriotism and taking the middle and lower classes minds off the economy and social issues. The Falklands are their prefered target.

Yes they could invade and probably secure the Falklands. The have done it before. But holding it is a totally different proposition.

The Argentine Military is like most Latin American Formations. A core of career Officers and NCO's with the majority consisting of Conscripts or one hitch volunteers. The best trained units are generally SF or Airborne which are present only in small numbers. The training in regular units is varied from good to deplorable as is morale and leadership.

Against a trained professional Military like the UK especially in a confined area such as an Island their chances don't look good IMO.

I don't think PM Blair will hesitate to retake the Islands but I think there will be a different approach along with troop ships. There will probably be more carrier support which will arrive a little quicker with troop helicopters and special ops. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an agreement between the US and Britain for support this go around. IMO.

This not good didn't they learn back in 82 not mess with Great Britania
unless Ven.Prez is prodding them to do so. they will be sorry again.

I would hope they would, though you never know when military decisions are left up to politicians on the campaign trail (read US politicians, anytime, anywhere, except election night).

Now there is that. I spent most of my time going on the british naval ships when they'd come to port while I was out there.

Shit all the mine fields are still there, they just have to remove the fencing, all the locals know where they are, let the argentinians blow themselves up..

Wing Nut

ironhorseredleg said:
I would be willing to bet that there's been at least 1 major US/British naval vessel within 1 day's journey of the Falkland Islands since the war. I would not want to send my "2nd generation without combat" troops against the battle hardened, experienced British troops that would be on the islands within hours of a new conflict. Even the most agressive hardliner has to realize that.

I personally do not think Britian would need that much help from the US if it leads into a conflict. The islands are small, (about the same size as wales) and the topiography would probably be best suited for strateagically placed units of men. (preferably people who don't mind freezing their butts off in blizzards and rain that comes at a 90 deg angle... )

Wing Nut said:
I personally do not think Britian would need that much help from the US if it leads into a conflict. The islands are small, (about the same size as wales) and the topiography would probably be best suited for strateagically placed units of men. (preferably people who don't mind freezing their butts off in blizzards and rain that comes at a 90 deg angle... )

Royal AF has a strong unit of Bombers and Tornados there to defend the islands!

Wingnut, you lived there, how strong is this deterrent force on the islands?

As I recall it was the British under-estimation of Argentinian ari power and their Exocet missles which bit them in the arse last go round was it not? I doubt they would make the same mistake twice but in the larger scheme of things in the world today how much of your limited resources would you commit to defence of a couple rocks damn near in the Antarctic? (Rhetorical question that. ;) )

All in all I think there are/were 1700 soldiers stationed out there in MPA, and the Capital Port stanley has the FIDF (falkland Island Defence Force) which is made up of residents and Children. (I myself partook in the enjoyment of playing with mines, and shooting things, while crawling about in the peat as a young lad. Hell I like most kids out there had a huge collection of munitions (not live any more.. thanks to the MoD,) which we used to play about with in our spare time. (as well as who can throw the stone over the mine field :twisted: so all in all I wouldn't put the total number of military able people out there over 2000. Back when I returned to the Uk they cut the number of troupes they had (in teh Uk ) considerably, I would imagine that this included in the falklands.

I never heard that the Falklands have a huge air force. When I was there, They originally had outdated phantom jets, which the traded in for Tornadoes in 92. I still have contact with people on the island so I'll drop them an email and find out the state of the military forces out there.

Wing Nut

bulldogg said:
Wingnut, you lived there, how strong is this deterrent force on the islands?

As I recall it was the British under-estimation of Argentinian ari power and their Exocet missles which bit them in the arse last go round was it not? I doubt they would make the same mistake twice but in the larger scheme of things in the world today how much of your limited resources would you commit to defence of a couple rocks damn near in the Antarctic? (Rhetorical question that. ;) )

Back