Who here has done Flight Training?

AFSteliga

Token Canadian Moder'eh'tor
Just like the title says. Who here has done any form of CADET Flight Training? When and where?

My experience for Cadet Flight Training was with the 154 Amherst Anson Royal Canadian Air Cadets during the summers of 2001-2003 inclusive.

2001 - I did the 3 week Introduction to Aviation Course at the Regional Gliding School (Atlantic) in Debert, Nova Scotia. This course was basically what the name entails. It was a Junior Summer Training Course designed to provide the basics of flight training (Mainly the groundschool training with very little actual flight time.)

2002 - I did the 6 week Glider Pilot Training Course at the RGS(A) in Debert, NS. This course was a Senior Air Cadet Training Course designed to train Cadets on the basic flight operations on the Schweizer SGS-2-33A Glider. The course consists of both groundschool and flight school. Actual flight training includes a minimum of 49 flights (29 Dual and 20 Solo).

2003 - I did the 7 week Private Pilot Training Course at 12 Wing Shearwater in Dartmouth, NS. This course was another Senior Air Cadet Training Course designed to train Cadets on the flight operations of a small, single engined airplane. Again, the course consists of both groundschool and flight school. Flight training includes roughly 50-60 flights. (Roughly 40 Dual and 20 Solo).

I'm eager to hear about other people's Pilot experience.

I do Orientation rides with CAP all the time. Usually it's a Powered ride in a Cessna 182, but I also do glider rides. I've had to stop recently because I am developing a bit of airsickness(don't know why- always liked flying).

Orientation rides, eh? Are you the Pilot or the passenger? I'm not allowed to do the Famil Flights for Air Cadets because I haven't built up enough time. (I haven't touched the controls of a 172 since course.)

I also do o-rides. On my last one which happened to be my first, i was pulling almost 2gs in the Cessna. :D scared my friend in the back since the wings were making noise.

2G's, eh? Not too bad. What kind of maneuver were you pulling off when you did it?

My flight training is as follows:

2002 - Introduction to Aviation Course at RGS (Pacific), 19 Wing Comox, B.C.

2004 - Glider Pilot Training Course at RGS (Pacific), 19 Wing Comox, B.C.

I am applying for a power scholarship this year.

Well, Trevor. I hope that you get Power this summer. It'll be great to have another full Air Cadet Pilot around here.

I was supposed to go do some flight training down at Nellis Air Force Base, and fly a couple planes but i had a black out and my alarm clock didn't go off, it really sucked, and i was mad i missed it, my friend however did do a couple simulators and a Cessna, i think it was a Cessna, yea I am pretty sure it was a Cessna.

nulli secundus said:
HARD left turns :D with very little rudder you can imagine :D

Yes....yes, I can. I've pulled off MANY of those during flight training. Spiral Dives are also quite fun.

I'm with you on the spins, too. They're much more fun in a 2-33A than a C172, though. Stalls are pretty fun too.

BTW: Trevor, you're going to have fun when you do slow flight during Power Training. You're just above the stall speed and the controls are almost non-responsive. It's great.

O-flights. Usually I put people to sleep when I fly, but when the pilot told me to go over the pipes from the nuclear power plant, I surely woke them up. That scared me! I swear, I don't know how far down I went after that, but that was like BAM. lol.

Their was one cadet i think he went to our squadron, he tried to do a barrel roll in a Cessna 172 around 1500 feet. Didnt recover till about 500 feet.

I've seen a barrell roll in a C172 done before. It was quite an interesting sight to see.

nulli secundus said:
Their was one cadet i think he went to our squadron, he tried to do a barrel roll in a Cessna 172 around 1500 feet. Didnt recover till about 500 feet.

Was that the last time he touched a CAP plane? Lol. Or was it on an O-Flight?

If it was a CAP plane, I don't think that it would have gone over to well with the unit commander.

I caught some awesome thermals when I was gliding Monday. I got a 39 minute flight from a 2000' tow.

That's pretty cool. What kind of tow was it? (Auto, aero or winch)

Most people around the RGS(A) site don't get 39 min flights even when they get brought up to 5 grand. We actually had one girl that got a 5 grand tow and she was down within 11 mins because she had to pee. Myself and the 6 other Cadets there wanted to smack her for that.

Back