Who on here has been

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the 2 way range thread had gone to hell ( http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22066 ), I felt it best to make another.

So here is the question(s).

1. Who has been in a firefight? Hopefully tell us a little about it.

2. Has anyone wished they where in a firefight? If so tell us why.

I have always wondered what my reactions would be in a stressful situation, so in a way I wish I had been in a firefight.
Still I got a chance when I was the first person at a car accident. I stayed calm, but I could not do anything for the poor guy in the carwreck.

Kids,
Listen to the guys who have the experience... We all thought like you before we had our first contact, two way range, or whatever you want to call it. It is not like the movies, it is not like the books, nothing can describe it and if you little ones who have the balls to ask about very personal things like being under fire and then not respect the answers from the troops who have been there, then you are confirming a lot of peoples immediate reaction to those of you who claim to have some experience.

I'm a little confused here. Is someone actually arguing that people who are not combat veterens actually know what it's like to be in combat?? That would be complete nonsense, of course.

To say to a vet, "I appreciate what you did. I will try to understand your experience, but I know full well that I'll never truly understand." I do believe that is the best that anyone can do. I think the best way to gauge any war movie is to ask for the opinions of the vets from that conflict/war. Hollywood has often done a tremendous disservice to vets, but in some cases (according to the experts) they've managed to do an excellent job. I think that it is very important for those of us who "have not been there" to at least try to understand. Our society is a lot more active in trying to foster that type of understanding than past societies. I'd say that's a good thing overall.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Once again, Chief, no where in any of my posts did I claim to knowing all the aspects of war. I didn't say I knew all the ins and outs. I said I figured I knew a TAD(please note huge emphasis on tad) more than some guy on the street. Thats all.

Not if "some guy on the street" happens to be a veteran of combat!

You assume far too much.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Yawn* Im entirely past the incident and really am tired of explaining myself.

That's a pretty arogant way of saying that you are wrong. A simple apology for all of those that have actually been in combat would be a more appropriate response.

Leadership comes not from education but by being responsible for your actions, you are not showing me much in that regard. Maybe you should end your relationship with the cadets and become just a student.

Senior Chief said:
Leadership comes not from education but by being responsible for your actions, you are not showing me much in that regard. Maybe you should end your relationship with the cadets and become just a student.

Nail on the head, Chief.

Henderson, a little contrition goes a long way. I think all these gentlemen are looking for is an admission from you that you were incorrect and, perhaps, an apology. Swallowing a bit of pride would go a long way toward helping that reputation.

I have. In case you all missed it in private messages, Im sorry. Im sorry for "opening the can of worms" and Im sorry for even remotely looking like a know it all. Im sorry for thinking for a milisecond that I knew a bit more about the Vietnam War conditions through my dead uncle's journal.And I dont think swallowing all of my pride could get me over the wall I seem to involuntarily built up for myself.

moving0target said:
Henderson, a little contrition goes a long way. I think all these gentlemen are looking for is an admission from you that you were incorrect and, perhaps, an apology. Swallowing a bit of pride would go a long way toward helping that reputation.
Good advice, but will it be taken? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Can you guys not ease up a little bit, I mean he mispoke and tried to apologize and it seems like everyone got on his case when it really didnt even involve them.

It looks like a meeting of the good ole boys club patting themselves on the back after they whooped on some kid that made a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back