Here is a bit of a "what if"...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
Would history have followed the same path if instead of giving Poland the Danzig Corridor the Treaty of Versailles had instead given Poland the tract of land between Konigsberg and Memel leaving Konigsberg on the Prussian side.

This would have left west and east Prussia attached to the German mainland and would have reduced one of the pre-WW2 sore points, I realise that one of the reasons that piece of land was chosen was the high Polish population but surely someone at Versailles realise breaking a country in two was going to have repercussions.

Its a possibility but with the corridor on the Russian side of Prussia it is far less visible and far less of a thorn and with less animosity to the Treaty of Versailles it is possible Hitler and the NSDAP may never have existed.

Why Hitler came to power will continue to provoke debate. It is clear there is no single reason, but a combination of factors. The foundations of Hitler’s terrifying reign were undoubtedly cast with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles.

However whether the collapse of the Weimar Republic was caused by Hitler’s rising popularity or vice versa will always be a ‘chicken and egg’ issue. President Hindenburg’s belief that manoeuvring Hitler into power would allow Von Papen’s cabinet to tame him was a fundamental mistake; However, Hitler remained in the Reichstag by constitutional means. Hitler came to power in 1933 due to a combination of political manoeuvring and economic crisis.

If the Wall Street Crash had never occurred it is possible that Hitler would have faded into history. When people are hungry it ignites their desire for change. Without the Great Depression the public’s receptivity would have been less intense, as up to this point the Weimar Republic were experiencing its ‘Golden Age’. It is said that money is the root of all evil, and in this matter the expression has never been more apparent.

I guess what I am wondering is how much the Treaty of Versailles would have to have changed to have avoided the conditions which led to Hitler's rise, I can not imagine it would have been a whole lot as looking at the election numbers prior to him becoming Chancellor he never really gained mass support.

My suspicion is that simply suspending German WW1 reparations during the depression probably would have been enough.

Back