HELP! What does this word mean?

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
I think it's Black English from the UK. Couldn't find it anywhere. The word is BREBBER. This is the excerpt where I found it:

"My sister, she's a right little snobby.... If she came here now she'd speak plain English, but che can speak Patois better than me. She speaks it to me, to some of her coloured friends who she knows speak Patois, but to her snobby coloured friends she speaks English. She talks Queen English, brebber. She's the snotty one of the family"

[Edwards; 1986; 121]

Thank you guys.

I am only guessing here, but taken in the context of the passage you quoted, it might mean "brother".

tomtom22 said:
I am only guessing here, but taken in the context of the passage you quoted, it might mean "brother".

Yes it might be, sir. It's just weird how it's not on any book or dictionary.

Okay, here's what to do. Start using the word in every sentence you speak, only when they are around of course, until one of them breaks and admits what it means. It's probably just a word their group made up to bother you. That's what Sisters were invented for.

I think tomtom may have been on track. It just might be a misspelling of another common Patois word, "bredda" meaning brother. In the context of the quote, it sounds like it might work.
best i can come up with

Thank you Missileer but I don't think you got the point :D : My buddy stumbled across this word on his book about Ebonics (AfroAmerican and black English). There is this part (quoted from another book) where this kind of journalist or scholar interviews this black British kid and he says that. So, if Tomtom and Rich are right, the kid was addressing the journalist himself as "brother", could that be it?
You guys are being super helpful.

I almost guarantee you that it means brother, read the text a few times and you'll see.

Anyways considering the name Bremner and Brebner other variations are Bramner, Brebber, Brember, Brimner, Brymner, as well as the rarer Brebidar and Brabendar forms often appear.

Just for your knowledge... (ain't that totally unuseful...?)

sunblock said:
I almost guarantee you that it means brother, read the text a few times and you'll see.

Anyways considering the name Bremner and Brebner other variations are Bramner, Brebber, Brember, Brimner, Brymner, as well as the rarer Brebidar and Brabendar forms often appear.

Just for your knowledge... (ain't that totally unuseful...?)

:D Thank you man. Well yeah I don't think the last name option is the right one either: first, it would be capitalized, second it would make no sense. Brother must definitely be the answer.

Back