HELP STOP SAN DIEGO MILITARY HOUSING RULE

I will not sign the petition.

HOWEVER...

The grace of your last post, quoted here, warrants an apology.

Miss, I apologize to you. You're right: I don't know what it is like to be a dependent. I should not have spoken to you with the disdain I did, and I am sorry.

Thank you for your husband's service, and thank you for being there for him in that service.

My humble apologies,

Richard
US Army Infantry, 1989-1997

Second that.

Rattler

Here's something to consider about the unbanning of pets.
- Who's going to clean the crap that gets unaccounted for?
- What about people who are allergic to dogs, cats and other animals?
- What about the folks who have to live there who don't like the odor that certain animals make?
- Maybe there are a lot of families with children there and dogs can pose a danger to them (I don't really understand people who insist on having gigantic dogs that eat more than the owner... maybe an ego/inferiority thing).
So at the end of the day, the petition is very selfish.
Why should several households be inconvenienced because someone wants to keep their dog?

Sure, I owned dogs as pets as well and it was good fun and a good learning experience but some people take it way too far.
Remember back in Rwanda when they were evacuating foreigners? I remember watching them take their dogs while PEOPLE were being left to get slaughtered by machettes. It's something I won't easily forget. If I was in charge, I would have never allowed a single dog to get evacuated out of some RESPECT for those who were not rescued.

Maybe now we'll let everyone smoke at all restaurants and entertainment centers on base.
Moral of the story: the world doesn't revolve around you.

Exactly......get our ass off base and find a place to live....**** that...

Your definitely, not military material....stop your ****en whining and get over it...

Last edited:
Wow I am not really sure where to start with this thread hell I am not even sure I want to be involved in it but I really do have a hard time understanding the hostility here, as I see it she is not asking you to personally go out and change the policy and there is no "demand" that the policy be changed nor can I see that she is whining about anything all I see is a request to support a change in policy and you have the choice to either support it or not to but instead most of you go all emo and attack the woman.

Seriously folks this is nothing more than a simple request for change done through fairly open channels that may or may not get the support it needs to pass.

Still in the end it isn't my problem, to the original poster good luck with your campaign and to the rest of you if change is that much of a threat to you perhaps a move to a less civilian/democratic dominated location would be more to your liking.

Last edited:
It's because the military has become me, me, me. With younger members and their dependants. They think that they have it soooooo bad. They ain't got a freakin clue. And pisses some of us off.

She reminds me of everyone who's ever lit up in a non smoking restaurant.

Must get one hell of a work out jumping to conclusions.

Care to draw some parallel between an individual trying to get a petition to allow dogs in military housing so she can keep her family pets by joining a predominantly military orientated forum and the people lighting up in a non-smoking restaurant?

Last edited:
Just saying, she's being really self centered and I can imagine why a housing system on base would not allow pets but somehow she can't seem to do so.

Sort of like how in a way one can imagine why a restaurant wouldn't allow smoking but someone's going to light one up anyway seeing it is their "right."

If her argument was that she has a right to own pets and therefore had a right to have them with her and the military will change to accommodate this I would agree with you but it isnt, she has created a petition and given reasonable reasons (family happiness, already having pets, the difficulty in taking some postings due to these rules) all of which have an effect on the soldier who's family they affect.

All people have to do is decide whether they want to support it or not and yet the responses are well out of line and for the most part irrelevant for the questions at hand.

It is fine for people to be a-holes when the situation requires it but being one because you (you is generic not directed at anyone in particular) can says more about you than the person it was directed at.

Navy housing isnt "On Base", its owned and operated by a civilian company and is located all over the city and the surrounding suburbs of San Diego. This does not affect the mlitary any way, this petition is going to Lincon Housing.

Not exactly what I had in mind at all.

That would be like petitioning any apartment complex wouldn't it?
My apologies.
Good luck with your petition.

- snip- I can imagine why a housing system on base would not allow pets but somehow she can't seem to do so.

Redneck_13, sorry, but you are off track here. let me take it apart:

- snip- I can imagine why a housing system on base would not allow pets but somehow she can't seem to do so.

That is not the question, nor what she asked your help for:

Many see why a housing system would not allow pets, but many (obviously, as some do allow) can.

Just to play "devils advocte" you could argue (and prove to some extent) that having pes on a base is favorable for the mental health of both actives as dependants, and for the ckids (hey, there are schools here in Europe that require pet presence once a week, for some reason), you could argue that base security is heightened, etc... Same value as the other arguments basically, simply has nothing to do with the question at hand whether she has the right to write up such a petitiona nd ask you to participate or not.

That this lady forms part of one of the two (fictional) groups metnioned above is in no way to be held against her, it is simply what happens in the world, yu belong to some (or the other)= opinion group on whatever the question is.

Ttrying to change the (probably well understood) policy at hand (especially with having other quarters handle it differently) also has nothing to do with the actual act of understanding or not the policiy in question (e.g. and as an example: I *did* understand Bush Administration´s policies, but still: I wanted these to change, by whatever legal means I could find), it is simply the way to change whatver policy on whatever theme (be it by petition, by elections, or whatever).

I go with Briton here, I do nto really understand the hostility, go with the petition or not, no reason to doubt her sincerity in mil dependant matters or to insult.

My 2c

Rattler (out)

Last edited:
I support this petition.

Having been a Navy wife in a past life, I know the value of a pet. Giving up a dog to live in base housing was not an option for me and my then-husband. The dog, Buffy, was our only "child."

While my then-husband was deployed on a carrier for 6 months at a time, that dog was my "family," as I was far from my hometown, my parents, and siblings. To have given up the dog and dumped her in an already-crowded shelter -- just so we could live in base housing -- was simply not a consideration for me. So when our number came up for housing, I turned it down, and never had a moment of regret. Struggling to live on the "outside" was preferable.

Responsible pet owners take care of their animals, and DO NOT LIVE IN FILTH. They clean up after them, as they clean up after their children, and -- yes! -- their husbands. Why would it be different while living in base housing?

The amount of disdain, accusations, and finger-pointing at "ssn759wife" -- who is simply an animal lover and clearly devoted to her family -- left me appalled.

Those of you who have never been dependents -- left to juggle every aspect of married life ALONE while living in suspense regarding my then-husband's safety -- have no clue on the comfort and value a dog can bring to a difficult situation.

Those who have apologized, I salute you.

To ssn759wife -- hang in there!

;-)

Last edited:
-snip-
So when our number came up for housing, I turned it down, and never had a moment of regret. Struggling to live on the "outside" was preferable. -snip-

The way to go if you have no choice but to give up your pets, IMHO.

Rattler

WOW is all that is coming to my mind. I can not believe that this is how you are treating a fellow wife. We are supposed to help each other. Some of you guys might not be pet people but you need remember the world doesnt revolve around you either.
I say good for you trying to make a change in the lincoln housing.
As for 03usmc. You can not be more in the wrong talking to her the way you are. Talking about the command finding out wabout whats shes doing. They bigger fish to fry. To starters they obviously need to pay some attention to you. You can not talk to someones wife the way you did and you SHOULD know this. I feel bad for you to have that much hate now that you would get on a forum to make yourself feel better. Maybe your wife treated you that way, But the majority of us wives are working, and praying for our men to come home to us. I pray that you get the help you need and focus that anger elsewhere.

ssn759wife,

I will gladly sign your petition as soon as I get my password reminder email from the petition site. I haven't signed a petition in a while, and I've completely forgotten how I registered. lol

After reading all the posts in this thread, I was also stunned at some of the brutal replies to your request. But being a fellow dog-lover, I understand that they're not pets....they're family. And you ARE going through the proper channels, so I have no reason not to add my voice.

Best of luck with the petition.

Jill

As for 03usmc. You can not be more in the wrong talking to her the way you are.

As for me? Why is that toots because I'm not smooching her 4th POC? Because I'm not buying her "I'm special and need to be treated special" BS? Sorry but apparently you have issues with how the military works also. I'm not about to powder butts and give hugs and sympathy to whinney little dependents.

Talking about the command finding out wabout whats shes doing. They bigger fish to fry.

Apparently you have very little working knowledge of how the military actually works when it comes to "problem" dependents.
The dependent is the responsibilty of the service member. If that dependent screws up guess who get's heat?

Bigger fish to fry? Yeah they/we do. That's why I have zero tolerance for the whinny dependent I'm special BS.

To starters they obviously need to pay some attention to you.

They do. They give me the responsibilty of telling my people to put a leash, muzzle, take the check book away, take the car keys away, on/from their dependent or it will result in their Article 15.

That is how the Military Works Toot's, like it, lump it Dilligaf?

You can not talk to someones wife the way you did and you SHOULD know this.

Ohhhhhh reaalllyyyy? I do it all the freakin time when it's called for. Especially when it's over BS like this.

I feel bad for you to have that much hate now that you would get on a forum to make yourself feel better.

I really don't have any hate. What I do have is zero tolerance for the me, me, me BS that seems to have permeated the dependents in the last 10 years. That ain't how the military works for service members or their dependents.

I also have a low tolerance for ignorance on how the military works when it comes to dependents spouting off at their cake hole. And your post has pegged my meter.

Maybe your wife treated you that way, But the majority of us wives are working, and praying for our men to come home to us.

Oh it ain't just me. I can't count the number of Marines, Sailors and Soliders I've known in approx. 17 years that have been screwed over , gotten in trouble because of things their "wives" did or didn't do while they were deployed.

Spare me the poor pitiful long suffering spouse routine Toot's. Spouses are the number 1 cause of morale problems in a deployed unit because they don't shut their pie holes and continue to piss and moan about crap that a deployed service member can do nothing about. He/she shouldn't be worrying about the freakin dryer or your bounced check when he/she is in a freakin hot zone.

When you dependents learn to grow up and quit whinning then I'll lay off.

So your profile says "active duty" but a apparently your a dependent. New's flash. You are not on active duty. Your Spouse is. You need to change your profile .

I pray that you get the help you need and focus that anger elsewhere.

What help? Because I'm not touchy, feely, I'm okay your okay and everyone thinks your special kinda guy? See heres the deal. My main concern is keeping my people alive, and when I have to deal with whinney dependents then it takes away from my people.

Again it's a low tolerance for idiocy not anger.

Responses embedded.

honestly

have you guys to be rude?
Regardless of what you think about that "petition" (or what I think) is it neccesarry to call someone a *****?
Beside that, what's wrong with petitioning a rule if you think it doesn't make sense? Thats quite a democratic way to sole such an issue.
A rule is not simply good just because the military made it. And the way you are acting, I am afraid I have to say, you dont even know what democracy or citizens rights mean. And, that actually desnt put you into the position to force "western values" like these on people living somewhere else.

Back