Help with an RE-4 re-enlistment code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-Navy cobra

Is there anyone on this board who can help me with straightening out my discharge from the US Navy?

I only ask because I was young when I went in (17) and when I got out (19). I was stupid. I'm 37 now, and want to go into the Army National Guard, but my discharge is holding me up. I was given a re-enlistment code of RE-4. I need to try to get it changed. My discharge was NOT a "dishonorable discharge". It was actually called n "Other than Honorable". I was told I would be able to get it changed to an "honorable" after a certain period of time. Anyone out there able to help?:type:

I should mention that I had a bit of a drinking problem back them which I no longer have.

I wish you the best of luck in your quest. And congrats on kicking your habit, thats not an easy monkey to get rid of.

Actually, all it took was my girlfriend (now my wife) telling me to stop. Unfortunatly, I met her AFTER I got out. She gave me an ultimatum: Booze or her I think I made the right choice.

You need to get with the VA and start there. Your ARMY NG recruiter should have told you that. An RE-4 is a bad thing and I can understand your wanting to fix that. I have a friend that got a BCD (bad conduct discharge) from the Marines I know he got his BCD change to General not sure about his RE code. I am on the phone with him here is what he told me your Recruiter should be able to get you going your going to have to talk with them they will know what paper work you need to file. If you had brig time or been in jail since you were discharged your going to have a tough time. :CG: It's not impossible,

Good Luck

I went to jail for a shot time after I got out. I never spent any time in the brig. I haven't had any legal issues in the last 17 years aside from the occasional speeding ticket. Plus, a recent check into my criminal history showed nothing even from back then. It's weird.

We had two people with drinking problems in my command that got RE-4's one with a OT, and one with a BCD, the BCD is irreversible, the OTH should have been upgradeable after 6 months of the official discharge date for something as minor as a drinking problem. If teh VA can't help try calling a base PSD office, and see what they can tell you.

I really don't like giving a kid a black mark like an RE-4 unless they commited a serious crime.

A BCD should not be handed out just to "Make an Example" getting a good paying job in a major corportation with an RE-4 is going to be difficult this will be with the person for his entire life long after the infractions are forgotten.

In my branch we will kick you but out in a heart beat for Drinking and getting in trouble especially if your an E-4 or above me a DUI would force me to retire. :cheers:

I really don't like giving a kid a black mark like an RE-4 unless they commited a serious crime.

A BCD should not be handed out just to "Make an Example" getting a good paying job in a major corportation with an RE-4 is going to be difficult this will be with the person for his entire life long after the infractions are forgotten.

In my branch we will kick you but out in a heart beat for Drinking and getting in trouble especially if your an E-4 or above me a DUI would force me to retire. :cheers:

Va Beach is a Navy town, so anything but an Honorable is gonna get you a permanent place in the unemployment line here

Ok, I tried calling two different recruiters. One wouldn't give me the time of day. I explained some of the situation to him, and he asked if he could call me back when he got back to his office. That was on Monday. I called another, and he gave me a website to go to for help, but when I told him about my jail time, he said it was a no-go. Then today, I got onto the ANG website and got onto the live help chat thing. They 2nd lt on there said the smae thing about my criminal background. It was a felony.... :( Now, I'm in the process of getting it expunged from my record and having the records sealed. It'll cost me about $1000, but it'll be worth it to me. I'm also in the process of trying to find the proper paperwork to send to the Discharge Review Board. Once I get it filled out, it may take me 7 months, but it seems that once I get my criminal record expunged and my OTH changed, I'll be ready to go. I'm 37 now, but I may be able to get it done in time....I know the military is all about hurry up and wait. LOL

Same basic situation

I have read so many different answers, that's how I found this forum. I'll keep it simple. U.S Army, MOS 55B,1996-2000,Highest rank achieved CPL. 1 charge of larceny of value less than $100(expended brass, etc. on display in my off-post home), BCD-12mos confinement in 2001. Received DD214 in 2003. No prior offense, civilian or military, and none since. Not even an Article 15. The VA doesn't appear to want to get involved, and the local ARNG recruiter literally asked me to leave(I didn't think it was That bad). Two simple questions: 1) Is re-enlistment at all possible? 2) If not, is it possible to reduce or expunge my record?

In same situation

I am in the same situation. I went awol in 2006 turned myself in a month later. I got in trouble not to long after that for possesion with intent to deliver and I was wandering if it is possible to turn over a new leaf and get away from the situations I am in now? I have an re-code 4 and want any way to get help and redeem myself. I need this for myself. I need the discipline so If you have any luck or anyone here can give me some luck let me know. I really could use some help. thank you and god bless

I have read so many different answers, that's how I found this forum. I'll keep it simple. U.S Army, MOS 55B,1996-2000,Highest rank achieved CPL. 1 charge of larceny of value less than $100(expended brass, etc. on display in my off-post home), BCD-12mos confinement in 2001. Received DD214 in 2003. No prior offense, civilian or military, and none since. Not even an Article 15. The VA doesn't appear to want to get involved, and the local ARNG recruiter literally asked me to leave(I didn't think it was That bad). Two simple questions: 1) Is re-enlistment at all possible? 2) If not, is it possible to reduce or expunge my record?

1. No, because of the confinement. But how that came about without an Article 32 I don't know.

2. Nothing is impossible if you say the right things to the right people. But you've got your work cut out for you. It will not be expunged, as the military doesn't do that. The best you can do is to have the charges lessened, but you're going to find that extremely difficult - again, because of the confinement. A year in the pokey is more than a few pieces of spent brass.

I am in the same situation. I went awol in 2006 turned myself in a month later. I got in trouble not to long after that for possesion with intent to deliver and I was wandering if it is possible to turn over a new leaf and get away from the situations I am in now? I have an re-code 4 and want any way to get help and redeem myself. I need this for myself. I need the discipline so If you have any luck or anyone here can give me some luck let me know. I really could use some help. thank you and god bless

You'll never serve again, and the military will not lessen your discharge. You have two serious offenses, but the intent to distribute (meaning you had a hefty amount) seals it.

But, with that said, anyone can turn over a new leaf. It will not be easy by any means. But like you said, you need to do this for yourself.

Redeeming yourself means proving -- not talking through, but action -- that you have changed and are committed to that change. May I suggest that whether or not you think you need them, take drug classes and have them sign off each one. That's written proof of at least SOME action. The rest will be your attitude and abstinence.

I've made my mistakes, so I do not judge you. I never got into trouble in the military, but I admit that there were times I simply didn't get caught. I had a big drinking problem. When I got out, I was an excellent soldier and did all 8 years honorably. But that didn't change the fact that I had a problem.

That manifested as a civilian, and I was jailed a few times. Recovering from that, seeking redemption, has been a long, hard battle. No one wants to give a drunken criminal a chance.

But I have indeed earned the respect of many. I took my lumps in the process. But I did endure and, by the very grace of God, turned my life around. If I can do that, anyone can do it.

My best wishes to you, sir.

Unless they changed the UCMJ for the kinder gentler military we have now days you totally screwed yourself. for one thing your dam lucky congress has never declared awr on paper against the terrorists or against Iraqm, or else youd be in one of two places either busting rocks the rest of your life or standing in front of a wall with one last smoke between your lips.
Second. possesion with intent to deliver? I really hate to be the one to tell you this but at this point the only person you can redeem yourself with is God himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back