help please

tetra_bio

LAH6K5m.jpg

6JBaQlU.jpg

zo2MGZT.jpg

any one know that place
Remote Base , Wadi Abu Shihat, Egypt
USAF was there at 1979
819th RED HORSE. Did 45 days around April of '84 to replace joint compound on the runway

any info???

Last edited:
Not sure what info you are looking for on this one as the internet has a lot of information on them being there.

Members of the original 819th RED HORSE Squadron pose next to the newly made horse statue in Egypt. The horse was created to promote morale throughout the squadron. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman Cortney Hansen).
110202-F-1111C-998.jpg

i didn't know that before
how could i get info about their tour in Egypt when they arrive ??
their base ; what was its purpose??

i didn't know that before
how could i get info about their tour in Egypt when they arrive ??
their base ; what was its purpose??

Umm well my guess is that in 1979 is was being prepared for its role as a staging base for Operation Eagle Claw.

My understanding is that the US referred to it as Wadi Kena not Wadi Abu Shihat.

The EC-130s carried the remaining forces back to the intermediate airfield at Masirah Island, where two C-141 medical evacuation aircraft from the staging base at Wadi Abu Shihat, Egypt (referred to as Wadi Kena by the U.S. forces due to its location near Qena, 26.555058°N 33.132877°E), picked up the injured personnel, helicopter crews, Rangers and Delta Force members, and returned to Wadi Kena. The injured were then transported to Ramstein Air Base in Germany. The Tehran CIA team left Iran, unaware of their compromised presence.

so the base was for support only ??
u mean Iran hostage crisis??
It would seem so and yes the Iran hostage crisis.

[FONT=verdana,arial,garamond]On 11 April 1980, President Carter authorized the rescue mission to be conducted thirteen days later, on the 24th. The mission called for a group of 130 Delta, Rangers, drivers, and translators to be inserted into the Iranian desert by a support force of fifty pilots and air crewmen. Six C-130 Hercules transports were to lift the men, their equipment, and helicopter aviation fuel from the Egyptian air base at Qena to the island airfield of Masirah off the coast of Oman for a refueling stop.

http://www.armyranger.com/index.php/history/modern-era/iran
[/FONT]

i know about the mission but i didn't know that us had working base in Egypt
when was it built ??
and when did the Squadron leave it ??
what about the base does it still used by us ??

i know about the mission but i didn't know that us had working base in Egypt
when was it built ??
and when did the Squadron leave it ??
what about the base does it still used by us ??

Beats me when it was built but apparently it was an old Russian air base.

Wadi Kena's base name

I was at Wadi Kena better known as Coronett Scabbard in 1984 as one of 2 site medics. My partner was a MSgt from Warner Robins. The Red Horse unit was the brunt of a lot of pranks but usually the Red Horse got painted pink about once a month. 2 of the locals once stole a floor fan from the Red Horse compound and tried carrying it out across the mine field. One lived to tell the tale but died soon after from bone fragment wounds from his buddy's legs. All in all it was a very boring place for 6 months and people got very creative to combat it. Plane day (resupply from the states) was the weeks high point with the C-141 fly unders of the fire truck water cannon streams. DH

Last edited:
It looks to have been miles from anywhere fun, the nearest major population centre would have been Aswan?

Back