help needed -to identify 4 inch cartridge

jogger

Hello everyone-- I could sure use some help on finding out which ship this shell came off. my 99 year old dad just gave me two 4 inch by 16 inch long brass cartridges from what looks like a naval destroyer gun ship. they are stamped with (4" mark 16 & 21 guns lot 39 DA N1960 cad 7097 ca 60 and the very center is stamped 11\42 and also 1942) there is also black painted letters which say STAR mk n7. and even more numbers and letters. I am thinking this could be british made for commonwealth countries and used in
canada but I could sure use some expertise and am hoping you people can help me with some positive identification. I think I have a real neat piece of history here. len

I have no idea what kind of cartridge that would be, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. Welcome aboard. :)

thanks for the welcome- len

thank you for you welcome and optimism for the forum to be able to help. len

P1010328.jpg

P1010329.jpg

P1010331.jpg

good idea guys - how's this for a start. len

thanks Christophe- I found out the hmcs Haida had twin 4 inch mks 16 naval guns and also found out that star designation printed on it meant for for illumination of the sky to show enemy aircraft. interesting, but now I am going to sell them -need some cash. len

Back