Help me ID this 1850's or so rifle

raiselevelfire

It has a 30" octagon barrell with what appears to have a 10-12 sided polygon inside the barrell, percussion hammer but mounted on the bottom the same as the trigger, and a brass patchbox and buttplate. The only markings I can find is 239 stamped on both the front and rear sites on the barrell.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, Dan

I would post so picts but I dont see that option...

I will triple check the bore tomorrow, but I'm sure it has at least 8 sides, possibly more. Of course, posting a picture would make it too darn easy for ya!:2guns:

Oh man, I can finally post a pict!:horsie::horsie:

Attachments

• 126.jpg
    126.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 12
Few more....

I looked at a few Whitworth pictures, but I could never find any with the Hammer on the bottom.

Attachments

• 128.jpg
    128.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I think it is either a Hilliard Target Rifle or a Kendall Under hammer Percussion rifle.

Last edited:
I count either a 9 or 10 sided polygram for the inside of the barrell.:?

Also, this was used in the civil war and handed down through the family ever since...

Last edited:
D.H. Hilliard was in business between 1825 and 1880 so that is probably where I would look initially.

Here is a picture of one of his rifles...

38cal-right.jpg

Interesting stuff.

According to the Underhammer Society, (http://underhammers.blogspot.com/2008/04/hilliard-target-rifle.html), Kendall learned the business as apprentice to Story and later sold his business to Hilliard. So their similarities in design makes sense. And the fact that Kendall continued producing firearms with his new firm of Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence further complicates things. If your piece isn't marked in any way (such as a name etched on the barrel), It could be either of them.

Here's a Kendall:
119s847.jpg

Last edited:
Back