Help me ID this 1850's or so rifle

Interesting stuff.

According to the Underhammer Society, (http://underhammers.blogspot.com/2008/04/hilliard-target-rifle.html), Kendall learned the business as apprentice to Story and later sold his business to Hilliard. So their similarities in design makes sense. And the fact that Kendall continued producing firearms with the firm of Robbins, Kendall & Lawrence further complicates things. If your piece isn't marked in any way (such as a name etched on the barrel), It could be either of them.

Interesting indeed as my difficulty in choosing between the Hilliard and the Kendall was because his rifle had a similar hammer set up to the Hilliard but the plate on the stock was of an identical design to the Kendall rifle, further to this Hilliard made a number of under hammer rifles from Tiger-Maple which is what I am guessing his is.

One other area I was looking as was the trigger, both his and the Hilliard have straight triggers while the Kendalls seem to have your standard curved trigger.

But you are right without a manufacturers marking it may be almost impossible to ID.

Last edited:
I've looked very close with a magnifying glass, but couldn't see any one mark other than the 239 in two locations, perhaps I need a more powerful one. Anything I can put on the barrell to help marking appear more visible that will not harm the finish?
:?:

I see more similairities with the Kendall than the Hilliard, however I admit it could be either at this point. There is a TF engraved on the inside door of the patchbox...

I've looked very close with a magnifying glass, but couldn't see any one mark other than the 239 in two locations, perhaps I need a more powerful one. Anything I can put on the barrell to help marking appear more visible that will not harm the finish?
:?:.

One method I have used for years when trying to I.D. various firearms for the police, is to use a very fine wire wool/steel wool with liberal amounts of oil. It will not harm the finish as long as you are careful.

I found it!

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated.:bravo:It was marked (very lightly) on top the barrell between the site and stock. Do we have any new guesses out there?:smil:

I can't leave ya hanging. It is a N.Kendall Winsor VT

Also, there is a slight bend in the trigger. It is not prfectly straight as appears in the photo.

Last edited:
I can't leave ya hanging. It is a N.Kendall Winsor VT

Also, there is a slight bend in the trigger. It is not prfectly straight as appears in the photo.

As I said it was a hard choice between the two, I thought the hammer and trigger were closer to a Hilliard but the patch box design was an almost perfect match for the Kendall but all this can be explained by the closeness of both companies.

Anyway at least it has an ID now.

:)

Back