HELP! Marine Corps Reserve Offer

DavidP

Okay I posted before that I was attempting to get into the Marines with a felony waiver, and I just got an offer today to join the reserves as a mechanic instead of active duty infantry (which is what I want) should I just be thankful and take the offer or hold out for my next waiver submission and hope that it goes through for active duty? SSgt wants me to go the 21st of this month! (very soon) I really don't mind as long as I'm a Marine. I know I can augment after so much time but I really don't know too much about the reserves and I have a few questions about that too:
1. Is it possible to get a full-time job in the reserves (i.e. working at the base) - I will most likely be a diesel engine mechanic and if its possible how hard is it to get it? (full time job)
2. How does the pay compare (not that its a huge issue but its still nice to know)
3. Do benefits change with reserves?
4. Is it harder to gain rank/rate as a reservist?

Any help/suggestions/answers would be GREATLY appreciated. :D

Not a Marine, but have served many years in the reserves so I can answer much of what you've asked.

To your first question, I'd say with the difficulty of getting a felony waiver, you should take what has been offered. As you well know, you can change your career later.

Now to your other questions:

1) Many fulltime reserve component jobs exist. They are very competitive and it would be unlikely for new personnel to be selected for it.

2) Pay day for day is the same as active duty with the exception of your one weekend a month. Instead of getting paid for two days you get paid for four. This was created long ago as an incentive to make sure people showed up for drill.

3) Health benefits change but little else. There is now legislation going thru Congress to add to the health benefits of reservists and their families in light of the present need for these personnel around the globe.

4) Rank is harder to achieve only in that a slot must be available for you at the next rank level. Unlike the active forces that can just send you to another unit that has a slot, you must wait for one to exist within your own unit. This is usually only an issue for enlisted from the rank of (E-6) on up.

Yeah I'm definitely taking the offer ( Just got off the phone w/ my dad who was ARNG ) I had one more question though; how hard would it be to get active duty while I'm in boot camp... like he told me when he joined they tried hard as they could to get him to go active duty... you think that could possibly happen to me? And whats a sure-fire way to get active duty? Thanks :D

I'm sorry but that's not a question I can accurately answer. It's a different world now than it was when I went in. Taking an educated guess though, I would think that if you asked for it it might well be possible. The need is great. The best thing you can do to ensure being selected for active component is to do your best to be the best Marine you can possibly be and that like most things in life means giving 110% effort.

Well thank you for your help and the timely answer :-D would you mind talking to me a little more in-depth on AOL Instant Messanger or any other chat program?

Back