Help Identify this Pin

jackpar1

I have pin that belonged to my dad. He was an office r in the U S Navy during WWII. The motto on the pin is Ense et Paratrus Arato. I have a picture of it but don't know how to post the picture.

Thanks

There is a paperclip icon right above the text box when you are creating a post or thread - if you click that, you will be given options for uploading your image.

The motto is not familiar to me, but let's see the pin :).

If it's a enamel shield with a tree a torch of knowledge and hands. Flanked by sea horses and topped with an anchor and dolphin, then chances are it's a school crest pin for the Submarine school WWII era.

I have pin that belonged to my dad. He was an office r in the U S Navy during WWII. The motto on the pin is Ense et Paratrus Arato. I have a picture of it but don't know how to post the picture.

Thanks

I have no clue what "Ense" means, but the rest translates to: "...and prepared plowman"

FWIW,

Rattler

If I'm remembering what the Good Fathers taught me'lo those many years ago, roughly it is

Prepared by sword and plow

But my latin is rusty :)

I studied latin in my five years at the High School... but I'm not an expert.

Maybe the correct words are
"Ense et Paratus Aratro" which mean "With sword and prepared plow".This motto (if the words are correct) it refers to the man who serves in times of war (with his weapon) and in times of peace (with his labor).

I hope I've been of some help.

Alessandro

Back