Help identify my ancestors uniform?

garethnash

Hi sorry to be a pain but can anyone help me identify this outfit worn by my grandads grandad?

43.jpg

Thanks for any help or pointers. All info appreciated as my knowledge in this area is weak!

I'm sorry I'd like to help you but I never seen British's old uniform from 1800's to 1900's. And I'm from USA.

Me mate in the office here said "don't hold me to it but it looks like a British Home Guard uniform".

I looked over that site but there was nothing that would help him identify that uniform. Considering the fact the man in the uniform is not German. If it were your Grandad's Grandad's uniform would that not make it older than World War Two. World War One perhaps?

If it is possible to identify the medal on his left chest and the insignias on his shoulders and neck, you are going somewhere at least.

Sorry that I can't help you any further.

Kevin said:
I looked over that site but there was nothing that would help him identify that uniform. Considering the fact the man in the uniform is not German. If it were your Grandad's Grandad's uniform would that not make it older than World War Two. World War One perhaps?

I was mainly referring to the forums, which as I said previously, addresses all nations.

Thanks for all the pointers and I do think its either WW1 or earlier. The cross does appear to be that of St John.

If I find out I will let you all know.

Thanks again!

Right its a St johns Ambulance uniform and the medal is a "service medal" awarded for 15 or more years service before 1942 so I have contacted St Johns Ambulance for some more info.

Thanks for the help!

KC72 you beat me to it I was also going to suggest it was St Johns Ambulance Corps. This is a group of dedicate people that attend various events in order to give any medical assistance possible. They are well trained and very well respected and it is a voluntary organisation. that uniform by the way was still in use after WW2 and they have to buy it them selfs.

Back