Help In A Fight

DanMorris

I am not looking for a training guide on fighting. I am not looking to kill someone. I just wanted to know if there was anything I should know if I were to have a confrontation with someone. Some questions I am looking for:

When should I not fight
How should I make the first move
And what to look out for
What if I am fighting a group

Though my quote may be misleading (just my favorite movie), I haven't been in many fights (one). I am not some 600 pound kid looking to beat up the school bully like thousands of 80's movies have already hounded into our heads. I just want to know how military deals with their own problems (that, and my dad just says to hit him in the nose). And also to see if the military has any take downs to stop a fight before one happens. If you guys can teach my your words of wisdom that would be awesome. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. The link was great. But my problem is kind of different. I have kids trying to destroy me (metaphorically). My image is going down the drain. My respect from people has gone away. About the only comforting thought is that my friends are still my friends. Although it may sound a little like my fault for letting it happening, the sad truth is that kids are mean. I am a really easy person to get along with, and I have tons of friends. I usually don't hold grudges and I'm not two faced. Kids at my high school think that the only right of passage to become a man is to fight. But before a fight all they do is talk (the image destroyer). I know that you may already be out of high school and remember all of the drama you had to go through and I am sure that it hasn't changed much either. But that is what this thread is for. I am just wondering how to deal with the "gangstas", besides choking them to death with their chains.

Well all I can say is high school in Australia is nothing like in the US, so I can't be too much help. There doesn't seem to be any of the whole "gangsta" issue, or massive image problems between groups. But fighting really won't help much. You'll probably just end up getting smashed... honestly. So it's not really worth it.

Talk is talk. As a teenager I fretted over what other people said about me. Now I have grown to realise it doesn't matter in the least. That said I still remember what it was like as a teenager. You need to make a decision inside based on your own moral code as to what it is you believe is important in life and those things that are worth fighting over. It is a sad testament that in our world today you must also consider the escalation of violence. To put it simply you must bear in mind that any fight you engage in could end in a death. Knives, guns, baseball bats and a disregard for human life are part of the equation. So I would offer this algorithm to apply to any situation in which you are questioning whether or not to commit to a course of physical violence.

Is this important?
Is it important enough to fight over?
Is it important enough to kill someone over?
Is it important enough to me to risk my own life over?

If you cannot answer YES to each of those questions I humbly suggest you walk away and be the bigger and better man.

Good advice, Bulldogg.
It's hard being a teenager, harder still, if you are being taunted.
Still, in the long run, you will be a much better person understanding that it is better to walk away, than be a fighter and end up losing.

I take it that you are not very old. (i.e. still in school) The problems your facing now have been faced by many people before hand so you don't have to worry about being alone through this.

Here's a little tip for you. Most of these people who shout off, puff out their chests, belittle other people etc.. Do it whether they are aware of it or not as a) a shield to hide the fact that in a fight they are scared too or b) as a tactical advantage, it's easier to win a fight if you are on the offencive rather than the defensive.

Agressiveness, be it through physical (including posturing) or verbal means will normally force the other person to become nervous, closed up. defencive, even passive Thus giving the agressor the advantage in a fight situation. Why is this? It's becuase it's easier to attack then to defend becuase in defending you are waiting for the agressors attack which could come from any one of his 4 limbs, in a number of different ways.

A couple of ways to help would be, A) take an agressive stance back, it might turn the tables on him. But the downside is, alot of these people are motivated by peer pressure and or girls on the top. (trying to look big and tough infront of girls) I have been in situations similar, When I got agressive back when he had back up (i.e. friends) the situation can turn ugly, not always, but you never know, so always prepare for the wost. But when I confronted them when they were alone, they would back down. Most people feel safe with backing. (it's natural) This way he might think twice about giving you trouble again, but you might also end up in a fight if he has his friends looking on.

b) Pre empt him. as he opens his mouth hit him as hard as you can. This will be the last thing he will expect you to do. In his mind he is the agressor all puffed chested and loud, you should close up and become timid. hitting him with shock him and will give you a window of oppotunity which will last a couple of second. My advice is don't stop hitting him. I don't care if you've done martial arts or not (and I am a martial artist) there are two things and two things alone that win the fight. 1) Determination, and 2) violence of action. You hit him, and you keep hitting him until you do not need to hit him no more. (I personally would suggest to a point where he is unable to get back up and attack as you leave the scene) This should also put his friends off as well from jumping into the mix.

If they do join in though... What can you do?? Well, your gonna get hit.. no if's or buts there. This is where being good at fighting comes in, although if it's not too many you should be okay. What you need to do is NOT WASTE TIME. do not sit there smacking sevel bells of shit out of one guy, while 4 others are coming up from the sides. You hit, hit hard, and make sure the guys down within a limited number of moves. 1 is best, stick to no more than three for times sake. Especially in a situation like this, take the fight to them, do not wait around for them to come to you, if you do that, you are not the agressor you are having to defend yourself which as I said puts you at a disadvantage. Be agressive, go to the nearest one to you and drop him, then turn and go at the next.

This is of course all fair and well. BUT, 1) it is hard to become agressive if your a regular joe. 2) a factor that you have out there, which we don't or at least didn't in the uk is. Sure you do them in. IN the UK they might come back and jump me. two which I would respond with taking them out one by one with a bat of some sort, and the situation evolves. In the US they are more likely to come back with a gun and shoot you.

So your best bet is to suck it up and walk way. no need to stand there and take it, just turn around and bugger off. Something when I look back to the past is. What was once taken as slander against a person was just some people having a bit of a good laugh. We all end up the but of peoples jokes from one time or another. learn to laugh along with it. When people like that make fun of you, it hurts. yet when your friends in later life do the same thing (and trust me they will do from time to time) it's taken light humouredly. The older you get these things will look different.

Now something you can do which is non violent, is, get some drinking behind you. then instead of smacking the crap outta them. pull out a bottle, and take them shot for shot.. till they can't stand no more. chances are they'll be like "woh man.. you can drink.... " and things might ease...

Wing Nut

bulldogg said:
Talk is talk. As a teenager I fretted over what other people said about me. Now I have grown to realise it doesn't matter in the least. That said I still remember what it was like as a teenager. You need to make a decision inside based on your own moral code as to what it is you believe is important in life and those things that are worth fighting over. It is a sad testament that in our world today you must also consider the escalation of violence. To put it simply you must bear in mind that any fight you engage in could end in a death. Knives, guns, baseball bats and a disregard for human life are part of the equation. So I would offer this algorithm to apply to any situation in which you are questioning whether or not to commit to a course of physical violence.

Is this important?
Is it important enough to fight over?
Is it important enough to kill someone over?
Is it important enough to me to risk my own life over?

If you cannot answer YES to each of those questions I humbly suggest you walk away and be the bigger and better man.

well said....

Dan, the first fight I can remember was in grade school. I figured the kid was pretty mean because he took a boxer's stance. Scared the bejeebers out of me. Fight or flight took over and I remember trying to do both. As it turned out, I took the stance of a windmill. I must have hit him on every spot on his body and I still don't remember anything but him running and crying to the teacher. Every time I see a movie on TV around Christmas titled "Christmas Story", I remember that fight. Sometimes, adrenalin is our friend.

Well, being that I am somewhat of an gentle guy I am I would suggest brute force. Just do what you must to get them on the ground, i.e. choking, tripping, tossing, etc., then simply stomp their knees in, and their elbows too if you are feeling extra giving. Thumbs to the eyes are good too, and then you can smash their head in a bit, but not too much. You don't want to kill them, just leave them brain-dead and crippled.

Remember, nobody ****s with the crazy dude.

Last edited:
Best opening move is to take the oponent to the ground. Most people have no clue how to fight on their back. If you know some basics of wrestling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu you can easily overwhelm an oponent through ground and pound. Quick, highly painful, and you can get out of the situation fast.

But the best bet is not to fight, in litigious America you're risking jail time for assault and a civil lawsuit to take your cash.

Last edited:
I'll tell you the same thing my instructor taught me. "Always be humble but aware". Always try to make friends and avoid fights whenever possible. I definately try to avoid fights because (people in my school are too scared to fight me and know better than too) since I'm a 1st degree black belt the police can go right up to me and ask me why did I break his arm. You see to make friends you avoid fights, try to fit in, but stay away from and hostile groups. The best thing to do is walk away. Although I do a lot of the times...every so often there will be a kid that wants to fight. Don't kill him, break his arm, paralize (spelling?) him, ect. The best thing to do in a fight, especially just hand-to-hand, put him in a hold/position where he can't do anything and you can inflict a little pain on him. I remember one kid this year wanted to pick a fight with me. I walked away, but he decided to make the stupid attempt at punching me from behind. I turned, grabbed his arm, punched him in the chest (to startle him), put him arm behind his back, then I proceded to make a mockery of him. Noone ever tried to pick a fight with me again. A teacher watched the whole thing and I told her it was self-defence. This is what it basically comes down to:

Always be humble:Make friends, stay away from hostile groups, ect.

Always be aware:Look around every so often (not too much everyone will think your nuts) and know your surroundings

Fight only in self-defence:Hand-to-hand you know what I mean

Always try to talk things through first:Talk to calm them, make friends, ect.

Kill only in life threating situations:If someone pulls a knife on you diliberately to kill, same with a gun.

And remember one final thing, what ever you do to them (any self-defence) they can turn it around and make you the bad guy. Remember, being humble can lead you to safety and being aware can keep you alive.

Alright Dan, listen. Next time someone makes fun of you, you have to defend yourself! Defend your honor man! Don't just have them make fun of you and do nothing about it. Because then, it's gonna get worse, and people will disrespect you more. How big are these people, Dan? Are they groups? If not, then I say next time you get made fun of, hit them in the face. Take some MMA classes, lift weights, and make yourself look "mean". I can guarentee you that if you are big, the torment should stop. But what do I know, I'm only 14.

Alright Dan, listen. Next time someone makes fun of you, you have to defend yourself! Defend your honor man! Don't just have them make fun of you and do nothing about it. Because then, it's gonna get worse, and people will disrespect you more. How big are these people, Dan? Are they groups? If not, then I say next time you get made fun of, hit them in the face. Take some MMA classes, lift weights, and make yourself look "mean". I can guarentee you that if you are big, the torment should stop. But what do I know, I'm only 14.

WHAT! That's the worst advice ever?
Dan this is not a reasonable solution. You won't solve anything, you'll just become part of the problem.

I say next time you get made fun of, hit them in the face

So that's not making things worse?
"Hmmmm, guy says some bad things to me so I break his nose"
- Now I have all his mates wanting to beat me senseless and I may or may not have an assault charge with the police and suspension from school -

Doesn't sound so good does it.... and what is your justification? Not self defence, no way. You don't have one. If you hit them first you just get yourself deeper into the sh*t. By all means defend yourself if they attack you physically.

How is he becoming part of the problem by standing up for himself?
There is a difference between standing up for yourself and being a real man, and just being an utter wa:cen:er.

Nick, you're wasting time and energy with these young sprouts. Just put the wisdom out there and those with intelligence will discern the right path to follow. Arguing with fools is dangerous, from a distance it become hard to tell who is who... or something like that.
;)

Back