Helloe Everyone. Expat South African

bushpig1998

Hi all,

I'm an expat from South Africa living in the United States now. Been here for a few years and also did my highschool and some college here, went back to SA and then immigrated permanently to the US.
I dhave a little bit of military experience in South Africa and due to the social and economic situation in South Africa, have seen my fair share of shooting.
While in School in the US, I was in ROTC (USAF) and got some time with the M16.
I've owned many firearms - from .45 and 9mm through 7.62 NATO.
From what I've read so far, it seems that y'all are a collection of innovative and spirited individuals. I'm sure I will have a blast on this forum!
Thanks for letting me in, Admins!

Well, this is about as nice an intro as I can type up.

Welcome, Bushpig! (I like saying that too he he)

I'm eager to hear of military life from your corner of the world and I second implicature's couriousity in some detail about your nickname.

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

The name is, well uhhhm, omething that's been following me around for a while. In my younger days, I used to party quite a bit. Mostly out on a farm. Me and a few friends would get together, have a braai (BBQ), get drunk then shoot the place up. Well, during one of these sessions in late 1998, I almost got gored by a bushpig (basically a verry PO'ed Boar). With some luck, I managed to nail it with a hip shot from a Lee Enfield (around 1905 vintage) and dropped it. Later that night - after some more shock induced drinking (I needed the excuse), I started getting a little vulgar...the jokes were of the kind that you don't tell in front of ladies - hence the name Bushpig - we were in the bush, I killed a bushpig and then behaved like one all in 1998. Needless to say, I'm telling all of this based on second hand knowledge. I wasn't there in mind or soul - only in body.

hahaha yeah it was pretty darn good! Lot'sof meat damage though. Old Military surplus .303 ammo is no good for hunting....especially lucky shots that hit bone.

Welcome!!!

I know someone who just completed the 20 hour flight from South Africa to NC... and I thought 4 hours in one place was a long time. SHe also had 2 little boys...

But anyways, welcome!

Hey; my great-aunt (on my dutch Mothers side) is South African. So's one omf my english professors...small world: :p

he he he

There are always hogs to kill somewhere!
:)

The world is a really small place. I think at last count, there were 45 000 South Africans in Atlanta!
God only knows how many are hiding out in Canada!

Dutch on your Mother's side? She would probably have understood my home language then!

Back