Hello troopies!

Charge 7

Master Gunner
Hello everyone

Just starting out here. A buddy sent me your way. For now I wish to keep my rank and service postings to myself. Over the years I've found that you get a totally different reaction when somebody knows your paygrade than you do when they don't. At this time I just want to be an average guy. I will let you know however that I have 22 years of service under my belt so not exactly a boot he he. My profession was artillery. I am retired now, but may be going back in soon. I'm still fairly young (in my early 50s) so that possibility is quite likely. This looks like a fine place to be and I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

- Charge_7 (fellow redlegs know what THAT means he he)

welcome to the forums. let us know if anything changes... i am gonna look at your profile to see which branch you are in... i have just joined the USMC so if you are in that branch i would love to hear about your experience!!

If you've looked me up by now you know I'm Army, however, don't be discouraged. I am the son of a leatherneck. My dad saw all of WWII in the Pacific - from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima where his wounds finally ended his service. So I do know a few things about the Corps. And if you are wondering why I'm not one of the few myself, it is because my dad forbid me and my brothers to join. Not because he had any bad feelings about the Marines but because he knew all too well the heavy price to be paid in order to wear that uniform. That didn't keep me from seeing combat 3 times though.

BTW, when my dad was dying he asked that I attend his funeral in my dress uniform as the last of his children still in service. I've been to all too many military funerals in my 22 years of service but the finest I ever saw was the one the Marines gave my dad. Slow cadence and measured moves that drip with honor. I was never more proud of him. The young Marines who carried his casket asked me why I wasn't a Marine and they seemed put out by my answer, but the old gunny who led them just nodded in silent understanding.

I am 21 yrs old... my father was in the USMC for 6 years... His outlook was similar and he told me that he would neither show approval or disapproval because this was my decision to make as a man. According to his logic once i signed those papers and announced that oath i was a man and no one could argue with that. He told me that three four or 20 years down the road he didn't want me to look back and say well i wish i had joined the Marines but my dad told me not to or I whish i hadn't joined the Marines but my dad was so proud of me when i told him about it... My dad doesn't talk much about his services and i wasn't alive to see what he went through but all I can gather is that the Marine Corps changed his life and I want the type of respect and honor i see in my father and the only thing that i can see that was a positive factor in his life to completely change the way he lived were my brother sister and I and the United States Marine Corps... I respect his decision to make it my decision and i am looking forward to learning from all those that went before me no matter the branch or term

I'm glad your dad phrased it that way. The best way it could've been put no doubt. I don't feel that I have any regrets that my dad forbid me to join the Corps. To me he was the greatest hero who ever lived and honoring his wishes was satisfaction enough. I have seen the Marines in action many times in my career. I worked on the ground with them on one occasion and had them come charging to my rescue on another. I have nothing but admiration for them as well as my own service. All who serve are are the "givers" in this world and that means a heck of alot compared with how many take. So all service is to be commended - even the Air Force bwa ha ha ha! (just kiddin').

Welcome Charge_7. I don't have to be an arty type to know what charge 7 means. Even us old mortarmen can figure that one out. Anyway, I hope you overcome your shyness soon. I won't hold your rank or experience against you ;)

Welcome! Going back? Been hearing more and more of that lately. Thank you for your dedication to our great country, it is appreciated.

Welcome, my dad doesnt really want me to be a Marine. But he doesnt try too hard to stop me. So, he finally just told me to learn a trade instead of being a grunt.

Welcome to the forums Charge, it's great to see another Redleg in here.. :)

After thinking over some discussion with Redleg I've decided to update my profile. Feel free to check it out.

Thanks.. :)

We have a few Field Grade officers in here already, but not all of them wants to reveal their ranks (of different reasons), so I can understand that you were a bit cautious at first..

Well Crap! A field grade! And here I've been talkin to you like I'm your da**ed buddy. :shock:

How many do I owe you SIR?!!!! :lol:

That's okay 03USMC. You _are_my buddy. I'm retired and although I appreciate the courtesy. I appreciate the company even more. Respect for the rank only is demanded. Respect for the individual is earned. I've always felt that way. I am friends, I should say with more than a few fellow retirees of various ranks. One of whom was my CO many long years ago and he retired as a major general. He's like another father to me. Comradeship post service is okay in my book. No problem of fraternization could arise. Since you and I are both no longer in the service. I believe it acceptable but if I'm wrong in that assumption one of the other field grades can tell me so. This is why I didn't want to reveal my rank at first. I wanted to get to know folks for who they are without our roles already pre-decided. BTW, my dad was a Marine staff sergeant and I called _him_ sir.

I know its late but welcome aboard.

My father is a former Marine Cpl
and my girlfriend was a C/3C in AFROTC

Glad to see some higher brass around the forums

Back