Hello...

MilitaryChicka

hello evryone...thought I'd join this site to get some info....I'm a single 21 yr old mother of twin...and 3 years ago I was to join the Army...I took my practice ASVAB...and did very well...all I had to do was MEPS and the real test and I was in...but then I ended up gettin pg and that was the end of my future...I just wanted to know...how hard would it be for me to go now??...I really wanna get out of my small town..and do something with my life...and give my children a good life...Has anyone been in my shoes??...Would this be too hard with children?...I'd really like some input on this!...Thanks!

hello and welcome to the forum... if you like military you will love this site

edit _______________________________

I am in a similar situation... pm me for details if you'd like

I do not know if there are any members who share your situation, but we have hundreds (probably thousands :lol: ) of years of military experience available to you here, and I am sure that you will be able to find the answers to your questions.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forums Chicka. I think that joining that military is possible for you but take a look at the pay rates at http://www.dfas.mil/money/milpay/pay/
The question I might ask myself is "How am I going to take care of the babies?" You will have many occaissions when you'll have to leave those children at home for long, long periods of time. You need a support network of family etc. to help you when you have to do your job. I won't presume to make your decision for you but make sure you plan carefully, make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you commit to a very demanding occupation that doesn't pay a whole lot (starting at $1104.00 per month base pay for an E-1) Good luck with your decision whatever it is.

Well, my dads a single parent in the army. I don't how its like on American army bases, but here at the Garrison they have single parent houses for all the single parents in the army, they're alright. It will be hard on your kids when they're young. When my dad would be deployed or at training, or whatever, my brother and I would live with my grandparents. It's fine now that we're older but it was hard on us when we were young. Like Dtop said, make sure you have a good support system.

I don't know if things have changed....However, when I finished college I was a single mother, my son was 3. Anyway, I looked into the military because at that time they had excellent programs for helping pay off student loans that you acquired during your undergraduate college years, and programs for Jr. Officers to go to graduate school on the military's dime. Thing is, they required that I did not have sole custody of my child to enter the military. I would have to sign over custody to someone else. My parents died when I was young, and I did not trust his father or grandmother to return him to me if I had signed over custody. So I didn't do it. I can only assume that they must still have something in place very similar as far as requirements where single parents are concerned.

Courtenay said:
I don't know if things have changed....However, when I finished college I was a single mother, my son was 3. Anyway, I looked into the military because at that time they had excellent programs for helping pay off student loans that you acquired during your undergraduate college years, and programs for Jr. Officers to go to graduate school on the military's dime. Thing is, they required that I did not have sole custody of my child to enter the military. I would have to sign over custody to someone else. My parents died when I was young, and I did not trust his father or grandmother to return him to me if I had signed over custody. So I didn't do it. I can only assume that they must still have something in place very similar as far as requirements where single parents are concerned.
I think your best bet is to discuss this with a recruiter. They have the latest and greatest information.

Welcome, MC

Not meaning to disuade your military goals but something else you may wish to give some consideration to that would be equally as valuable to the armed forces as having you in uniform is working for the Red Cross or USO. You might be better able to care for your children that way and still see plenty of military life as well as earning the undying gratitude of all who serve.

Back