Hello

RusCan2013

My name is Sergei, I was born in Russia, but moved to Canada when was 11 years old, pretty much grew up here, went to school here. My older sister and her husband were here years before me, and they sponsored me to come here. My brother-in-law Andrei served in 3 different militaries: he was a conscript in the Soviet Army for 3 years; later, when he and my sister lived in Israel and became Israeli citizens, he served in the Tsahal as well; finally, after they were here, he eventually ended up joining the Canadian Forces, served in Kandahar, among other places. Great guy :D I am a late child in the family, by the way: my sister is 25 years old than myself, I'm 23, she is 48.

Anyway, I love Canada, don't know where I'd be now, if didn't get a chance to come here. The city of Ulyanovsk in Russia, where my family is from, is a terrible place, poverty, drugs, all the young boys are in gangs. At least, so it was a decade ago, when I left. I heard it's somewhat better now, but, I doubt it. My best friend from back then, Stas, was killed five years after I left. He got into car theft, and ended up stealing the wrong car, it belonged to some big mafia kingpin. They found him and shot him dead, right in the elevator of his apartment building. If I were still there, probably would have been lying dead in that elevator next to him: we were always together in everything... :(

But, enough about the sad stuff. I am doing good here. I finished high school, I am working as a guard at the armoured truck company Brinks, delivering money all over Vancouver. I also have joined the Canadian Forces, as a reservist. Back in my last year of high school, a recruiter from the local reserve unit came by during career day, talked to us. I really liked the idea, and later ended up applying, got accepted, went through the training. Now, I am a reservist. Very proud to be doing my part for Canada. I've been helping with similar recruiting drives at schools, like one that caught me :) I am also going to college now, doing a Bachelor of Arts degree in Criminology.

Anything else you want to know, ask.

Happy to be here.

Thanks for reading,

Sergei.

Believe me, I live in a part of the UK near to the Lake District National Park where it rains nearly every day, we have to fill the lakes somehow. :D

Welcome to the Forum, Sergei.

I too am an immigrant to these shores. I've been here for seven years now and I too, love it.

I'm hoping to apply to join the Intelligence, or Logistics Corps. within the Canadian Forces, as well as going to RMC (or another University), hoping to study Journalism and eventually become a Public Affairs Officer.

Anyway, welcome again!

Believe me, I live in a part of the UK near to the Lake District National Park where it rains nearly every day, we have to fill the lakes somehow. :D

Winters are better here. No rain, but, it doesn't snow so much eitehr and not that cold.

Welcome to the Forum, Sergei.

I too am an immigrant to these shores. I've been here for seven years now and I too, love it.

I'm hoping to apply to join the Intelligence, or Logistics Corps. within the Canadian Forces, as well as going to RMC (or another University), hoping to study Journalism and eventually become a Public Affairs Officer.

Anyway, welcome again!

However, I live on the East Coast, New Brunswick.

Intelligence sounds interesting, do let me know how that goes for you.

I want to go to the east Coast some time. First Canadian film I've ever seen in my English as Second Language class, was Anne of Green Gables. Since then, I wanted to see Prince Edward Island. Maybe will go this summer, and swing by New Brunswick too. :)

Winters are better here. No rain, but, it doesn't snow so much eitehr and not that cold.

Intelligence sounds interesting, do let me know how that goes for you.

I want to go to the east Coast some time. First Canadian film I've ever seen in my English as Second Language class, was Anne of Green Gables. Since then, I wanted to see Prince Edward Island. Maybe will go this summer, and swing by New Brunswick too. :)

PEI's nothing special, neither is Anne of Green Gables if I'm honest. The West Coast certainly appears to be where it's at! It's bloody cold here. It was -42 last week!

Hope all's well with you.

Welcome...All roads lead to Canada, being in Ontario.

The beer is good; the winters are more severe than in Sweden

Certainly an interesting and even inspiring story you have! Good to have you aboard.

My bunk mate in basic training was from Russia. He left there when he was 19, moved to Israel and served in their military during the early 90s. He came to the US and joined the US Army as an Artilleryman. Very interesting guy. He's now serving as a Captain in the intelligence field. He had great stories that would keep a wide eyed kid (me at the time) awake on fireguard!

Back