Hello... - Page 2

--

December 22nd, 2004  
Courtenay

I don't know if things have changed....However, when I finished college I was a single mother, my son was 3. Anyway, I looked into the military because at that time they had excellent programs for helping pay off student loans that you acquired during your undergraduate college years, and programs for Jr. Officers to go to graduate school on the military's dime. Thing is, they required that I did not have sole custody of my child to enter the military. I would have to sign over custody to someone else. My parents died when I was young, and I did not trust his father or grandmother to return him to me if I had signed over custody. So I didn't do it. I can only assume that they must still have something in place very similar as far as requirements where single parents are concerned.
December 24th, 2004  
Trevor

WElcome, Chicka.
December 24th, 2004  
The Grill Instructor

Welcome
--
December 24th, 2004  
DTop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtenay
I don't know if things have changed....However, when I finished college I was a single mother, my son was 3. Anyway, I looked into the military because at that time they had excellent programs for helping pay off student loans that you acquired during your undergraduate college years, and programs for Jr. Officers to go to graduate school on the military's dime. Thing is, they required that I did not have sole custody of my child to enter the military. I would have to sign over custody to someone else. My parents died when I was young, and I did not trust his father or grandmother to return him to me if I had signed over custody. So I didn't do it. I can only assume that they must still have something in place very similar as far as requirements where single parents are concerned.
I think your best bet is to discuss this with a recruiter. They have the latest and greatest information.
December 25th, 2004  
Charge 7

Welcome, MC

Not meaning to disuade your military goals but something else you may wish to give some consideration to that would be equally as valuable to the armed forces as having you in uniform is working for the Red Cross or USO. You might be better able to care for your children that way and still see plenty of military life as well as earning the undying gratitude of all who serve.
December 29th, 2004  
dougal

Craic, fair play on the twins. runs in the family. Hope it skips me.

More women here I say