Hello

kb12

Hi my name is Katie I am 25 years old and my husband used to be in the marines. He was discharged 4 years ago and his RE code is a 4 (i'm not 100% on the details). Is there any use in trying to get that changed so that he can reenlist or is it useless? (I have read a lot and everything says that it is basically pointless to even try). Also would he be able to get into the army? Thanks!! :)

It is very un-likely he could get his Re-4 changed and he will not get into any branch of the service with that code.

Why would you think the Army would accept him if he couldn't be a Marine?

The army has much lower standards than the marines? :hide:

;)

I see your question mark so I will address this head on. No the Army doesn’t have lower standards the USMC. The test to qualify (the ASVAB) and the physical is the same for all services and, I believe, the Coast Guard. Passing scores will vary from area to area, but are pretty much the same for the Army, Navy and Marines. The Air Force, especially during the draft era, had higher requirement scores. It has been a while since I was in recruiting so I don’ know if this is still true.

Nor is Marine Boot Camp more demanding than Army Basic Training. This is a (admittedly of great value to the Corps) myth, as several objective studies have shown.

Would you honestly think that an Army Special Forces, Ranger, Infantryman or any other member of Combat Arms or Combat Support (Intelligence, Medical, Logistics, Personal, etc) is less qualified or trained then a Marine? In fact Marines attend many of their MOS schools at Army Schools.

I see your question mark so I will address this head on. No the Army doesn’t have lower standards the USMC. The test to qualify (the ASVAB) and the physical is the same for all services and, I believe, the Coast Guard. Passing scores will vary from area to area, but are pretty much the same for the Army, Navy and Marines. The Air Force, especially during the draft era, had higher requirement scores. It has been a while since I was in recruiting so I don’ know if this is still true.

Nor is Marine Boot Camp more demanding than Army Basic Training. This is a (admittedly of great value to the Corps) myth, as several objective studies have shown.

Would you honestly think that an Army Special Forces, Ranger, Infantryman or any other member of Combat Arms or Combat Support (Intelligence, Medical, Logistics, Personal, etc) is less qualified or trained then a Marine? In fact Marines attend many of their MOS schools at Army Schools.

Sigh. There was me thinking inter-service banter/rivalry was alive and kicking in the US military... :roll:

It was a joke. I thought that was obvious! ;) :oops:

Having worked along side various units of the US military (USAF, USMC, Navy and the Army), I know the standards are pretty much equal across all services.

Sigh. There was me thinking inter-service banter/rivalry was alive and kicking in the US military... :roll:

It was a joke. I thought that was obvious! ;) :oops:

Having worked along side various units of the US military (USAF, USMC, Navy and the Army), I know the standards are pretty much equal across all services.

No problem, my comments were really directed at Katie.

I go back to almost the Brown Boot Army, that, coupled with my (involuntary) duty on recruiting, and being a Viet Nam vet means I’ve experienced a lot of less than laudable comments about my branch of the Military and I’m a little sensitive.

Since the draft ended, and especially since the first Gulf War, I think the US has the best Military, Reserve and National Guard ever.

Last edited:
Back