Hello everyone!

I am Swedish; Capt. is it a culture difference between the Highlanders and the Lowlanders?

I met Scottish soldiers when I participated in a walk about in Holland. I had a few very confusing conversations with the Scots, I felt like Manuel from the Fawlty Towers. Que???

I consider a visit to Scotland, I am into scotch and I would like to visit the military tattoo

I am Swedish; Capt. is it a culture difference between the Highlanders and the Lowlanders?

I met Scottish soldiers when I participated in a walk about in Holland. I had a few very confusing conversations with the Scots, I felt like Manuel from the Fawlty Towers. Que???

I consider a visit to Scotland, I am into scotch and I would like to visit the military tattoo

The culture between highlanders and lowlanders is pretty much the same in my experience. I've visited the highlands a number of times, and to me I couldn't see any differences.

Some parts of Scotland have stronger accents than others. Doesn't help when we speak Scots! ;)

Get yourself over to Scotland, you'll enjoy it. Edinburgh has plenty to keep you occupied. :)

Thankfully the fighting has ended! The north is now part of the UK which is what the majority of the north wanted.

What's your native language(s)?

Oh, so the north does like your rule, interesting. It's quite a surprise to find that a country enjoys foreign rule. Is it only the government that enjoys your rule or also the people do?

We have a very long history; we're the 2nd oldest civilization known to man. -in case you're wondering, the 1st civilization is Mesopotamia which is modern day Iraq.-

Our languages were:
Archaic Egyptian, that's before the age of the pharaohs in what's called Pre-Dynastic period.

Old Egyptian, this one appeared during the Old Kingdom.

Middle Egyptian, during the Middle Kingdom and the New Kingdom.

Late Egyptian, that's during the Intermediate periods.

Demotic Egyptian, that's when we stopped being ruled by native Egyptians and during the Persian conquest.

Coptic Egyptian, -the last native Egyptian language- spoken during the Roman age. To this date Coptic is being used but very rarely and only in churches.

Then from the Seventh century to this date we speak Arabic as a result of Arabic conquest and the spread of Islam. We were never an Arabic country neither were we ever Muslims. Both Arabic and Islam are results of conquest.

I do blame the Arabs for the death of our culture and I don't find a reason for me to respect Arabic culture due to what they did to ours.
Coptic, the name comes from Egypt in a way. The name Egypt comes from the Greek Egiptus. Notice the capitals in this word...eGIPTus. Gipt became Copt later from Latin, I believe.

Oh, so the north does like your rule, interesting. It's quite a surprise to find that a country enjoys foreign rule. Is it only the government that enjoys your rule or also the people do?

We have a very long history; we're the 2nd oldest civilization known to man. -in case you're wondering, the 1st civilization is Mesopotamia which is modern day Iraq.-

Our languages were:
Archaic Egyptian, that's before the age of the pharaohs in what's called Pre-Dynastic period.

Old Egyptian, this one appeared during the Old Kingdom.

Middle Egyptian, during the Middle Kingdom and the New Kingdom.

Late Egyptian, that's during the Intermediate periods.

Demotic Egyptian, that's when we stopped being ruled by native Egyptians and during the Persian conquest.

Coptic Egyptian, -the last native Egyptian language- spoken during the Roman age. To this date Coptic is being used but very rarely and only in churches.

Then from the Seventh century to this date we speak Arabic as a result of Arabic conquest and the spread of Islam. We were never an Arabic country neither were we ever Muslims. Both Arabic and Islam are results of conquest.

I do blame the Arabs for the death of our culture and I don't find a reason for me to respect Arabic culture due to what they did to ours.
Coptic, the name comes from Egypt in a way. The name Egypt comes from the Greek Egiptus. Notice the capitals in this word...eGIPTus. Gipt became Copt later from Latin, I believe.

I believe the people of the north are happy with being ruled from London. My own personal experience is that the people of northern Ireland were very grateful for the job we did. There are exceptions to that.

Northern Ireland has their own parliament/government so they have the ability to make some of their own decisions and have a range of powers over education, health and policing etc.

I used to speak a bit of Arabic from when I was serving out in the middle east. Don't ask me how to type it though! :lol:

I believe the people of the north are happy with being ruled from London. My own personal experience is that the people of northern Ireland were very grateful for the job we did. There are exceptions to that.

Northern Ireland has their own parliament/government so they have the ability to make some of their own decisions and have a range of powers over education, health and policing etc.

I used to speak a bit of Arabic from when I was serving out in the middle east. Don't ask me how to type it though! :lol:
I see. Where in the Middle East did you serve? And yeah, I know Arabic script is kinda crazy to foreigners.

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
What the hell does that mean?? o_O

I see. Where in the Middle East did you serve? And yeah, I know Arabic script is kinda crazy to foreigners.

الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
What the hell does that mean?? o_O

I went to Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan. :)

Here is my poor attempt! Apologies if it means something else. :lol:

Arini yadaike - show your hands
Alki Silahak - drop your weapon
Inbahtih - get on the ground

I went to Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan. :)

Here is my poor attempt! Apologies if it means something else. :lol:

Arini yadaike - show your hands
Alki Silahak - drop your weapon
Inbahtih - get on the ground

Oh, when did you go there? Because I know that it was the British that made Iraq into 2 states Iraq and Kuwait back in 1935. Afghanistan doesn't speak Arabic I believe.

Yeah, you did say it correctly with the correct meanings.:bravo: Our Arabic is a little different though.

Wareny 'edak - show your hands.

Ermy Silahak - drop your weapon.

Third one is the same.

Oh, when did you go there? Because I know that it was the British that made Iraq into 2 states Iraq and Kuwait back in 1935. Afghanistan doesn't speak Arabic I believe.

Yeah, you did say it correctly with the correct meanings.:bravo: Our Arabic is a little different though.

Wareny 'edak - show your hands.

Ermy Silahak - drop your weapon.

Third one is the same.

I was in Kuwait in the 90's, Iraq from 2003 onwards and Afghanistan from 2001 onwards.

You're right, Arabic isn't an official language in Afghan but a few understand it due to Islam I believe?

Glad I got it right. Much easier to speak it than type it. :lol:

I met Scottish soldiers when I participated in a walk about in Holland. I had a few very confusing conversations with the Scots, I felt like Manuel from the FawltyTowers. Que???

Most things that people associate with Scotland such as clans, tartan, bagpipes, speaking Gaelic etc is not really a Scottish way of life but a Highland way of life. Prior to the 19th century there was a clearly defined line between the Highlands and Lowlands marked by difference of race, religion, and customs that can still be observed today.

Lowlanders did not have a clan structure as they considered Highlanders to be feudal, uncivilized heathens who were fiercely clannish. They perceived the Highlanders as a self-sufficient and independent breed that eyed the rest of the country with suspicion. Lowlanders wore trousers as they would not be caught dead in a kilt and bagpipes was only so much noise. Highlanders of Western Scotland and the adjacent islands were of Celtic origin and the Gaels of the Highland clans were originally of the same Celtic stock as that of the native Irish prior to being conquered by England. The term "Scots" is in direct reference to the Highlanders and not to the whole of Scotland. Unlike the Highlander, the Lowlander were a mix of Romans, Frisian, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Norwegians, Normans, and Flemings just as the Englishman immediately to the south of them were.

I was in Kuwait in the 90's, Iraq from 2003 onwards and Afghanistan from 2001 onwards.

You're right, Arabic isn't an official language in Afghan but a few understand it due to Islam I believe?

Glad I got it right. Much easier to speak it than type it. :lol:
Oh, you were there during the Liberation of Kuwait war? I wonder how it was fighting the Iraqi army, a lot of people used to claim that the Iraqi army was the most powerful Arab army and they did have advanced technology. Afghanistan, I wonder what the British is doing in Afghanistan.

Yeah, same thing with Pakistan. They speak Urdu but they know Arabic cuz of Islam.

LOL...you made me have a question speaking of Scotland. Was the story of William Wallace (aka. Braveheart) a true one? Or just Hollywood? My apologies, I don't know what haggis are.

Well honestly, when it comes to this song, the more censored it is, the better it is for everyone! "Peeing on the crowd"? I have never ever heard anything like this before, seriously!
Hmm...I thought Brits and Scots are similar. Same language and same traditions. Just different cultures, I assume? Since I know about the kilts only from Scotland never heard about it in Britain.

William Wallace is a true to life character, Scarab... and a true Scots hero.

You've never heard of haggis? You are indeed a lucky man! The reason a Scotsman speaks like a Scotsman is the after effects of eatring haggis... :)

I have always wanted to know a little bit more about the "Troubles" as you gentlemen put it. I wanted to know from the people who serve it, and not from the media, but I guess that would be another topic to discuss...

I have nothign but respect for anyone who puts the uniform and man the post, no matter what nationality, it truly takes a brave person, male or female to do that. I wish that people who remember that from time to time...

I wonder how it was fighting the Iraqi army, a lot of people used to claim that the Iraqi army was the most powerful Arab army and they did have advanced technology.
Iraq had an Army? They must have had stealth technology, cause we never saw them.

Afghanistan, I wonder what the British is doing in Afghanistan.
Lends our American cousins ​​a hand

I have always wanted to know a little bit more about the "Troubles" as you gentlemen put it. I wanted to know from the people who serve it, and not from the media, but I guess that would be another topic to discuss...
Shoot.

Oh, you were there during the Liberation of Kuwait war? I wonder how it was fighting the Iraqi army, a lot of people used to claim that the Iraqi army was the most powerful Arab army and they did have advanced technology. Afghanistan, I wonder what the British is doing in Afghanistan.

Yeah, same thing with Pakistan. They speak Urdu but they know Arabic cuz of Islam.

The Iraqi's couldn't retreat any faster out of Kuwait. Once we had troops on the ground, they didn't hang about! ;)

In Afghanistan, it's all about training up the Afghan army so that they can take control of their country once all coalition troops have withdrawn in a few years time.

I have nothign but respect for anyone who puts the uniform and man the post, no matter what nationality, it truly takes a brave person, male or female to do that. I wish that people who remember that from time to time...

If you put a new topic up about "The Troubles" then I'm sure a few of us will be happy to discuss our memories/involvement and answer any questions you might have. :)

William Wallace is a true to life character, Scarab... and a true Scots hero.

You've never heard of haggis? You are indeed a lucky man! The reason a Scotsman speaks like a Scotsman is the after effects of eatring haggis... :)
Hahahaha, that was very funny. What's up with those Haggis? Seems like they're so popular up in Europe. Even u in Singapore and u know them, am I missing something?:bang:

Iraq had an Army? They must have had stealth technology, cause we never saw them.

Lends our American cousins ​​a hand

Shoot.

Hmm...forgive me because my knowledge about the Middle East is a little limited. I'm talking about the withdrawal from Kuwait war when the coalition forces wanted to kick Iraq out of Kuwait. I believe they had an army. o_O

So, it's England and America in Afghanistan? I feel bad for Afghanis, they have 2 countries sending troops and their Taliban.

Back