Hello everyone!

The RAF have been named "crabs" due to the fact that they have no limit to the number of sideways paces they can do as a drill movement. While army and navy have a fixed limit of sideways paces the RAF can actually march the entire width of a parade ground sideways.

Another more plausible explanation as to why the RN refer to the RAF as 'crabs' goes back to the days of rum, sodomy and the lash. One of the more unsavoury aspects of the average matelot was his unfortunate habit of contracting pubic lice or "crabs" during his shore leave. The treatment for this condition was to get a chum or shipmate to apply a liberal application of a greasy blue/grey ointment (known affectionately as "crab fat") to the affected area. The proper name for the ointment was Blue Unction.

With the RN's usual powers of wit and sophistication the RAF were thereafter referred to as 'crab air' (or crabs for short) as their blue/grey uniform was exactly the same colour as the stuff that the filthy little ratings rubbed on their swollen and lice-ravaged goolies.

No, there is only one RAF (thankfully :D) here is a light hearted look at how the RAF got the nickname "Crab Air" ;)

Crab Air

RAF, Reach for the bottle? I wonder what that is supposed to mean. o_O

One more question if I may, what's an HMG? It says:
"Their most impressive recent feat has been to persuade HMG to stump up the cash for about 10,000 Eurofighter Typhoons - an aircraft allegedly designed to replace the Barrage Balloon as the ultimate weapon against Hitler's mighty Luftwaffe, and thus completely bankrupting the MoD to the extent that the rest of us will only be allowed to shout 'Bang' once a year in case we get sore throats."

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Secondly, and totally unrelated, when the video that was posted had finished, there was a video link in the top-left, "Prince Harry is better than Prince William..." My first thought... obviously not at keeping your clothes on!"

First of all, welcome to the Forums!

Secondly, and totally unrelated, when the video that was posted had finished, there was a video link in the top-left, "Prince Harry is better than Prince William..." My first thought... obviously not at keeping your clothes on!"

Thank you. :)

Hahahaha!!! You got a funny way of perceiving things!

Bienvenido al Foro.
All opinions are accepted and any sincere thoughts welcomed with open arms. If you would like others', this is certainly the place to voice your own.

This is a freedom we enjoy here in the USA and well worth it.

I hope you will enjoy it here. Btw, be careful around the Brits, they are strange but really funny. Anyway, welcome to the other misfits of the MIL-Forum

Bienvenido al Foro.
All opinions are accepted and any sincere thoughts welcomed with open arms. If you would like others', this is certainly the place to voice your own.

This is a freedom we enjoy here in the USA and well worth it.

I didn't understand ur first sentence, unfortunately. I don't know what language is that.

Thank you for your introduction. :) But also in my country we get to say whatever we want and we can oppose the leadership openly nowadays. :D

I hope you will enjoy it here. Btw, be careful around the Brits, they are strange but really funny. Anyway, welcome to the other misfits of the MIL-Forum

I'm already enjoying it here. I got to hear some foreign point of views. :D

Haha, I've talked to some Brits I believe and I do know Brits in real life but I do agree they can a bit strange.

Thank you, though! :)

Back